Drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guinsu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just dove a dry suit yesterday for the first time and think it's something I will keep up with. Even if I rent the suit for a while I figured I should look into undergarments since they are much cheaper. I was just wondering if there was any info out there comparing the different types of materials for undergarments and what temps they are good for. Also, is there an advantage to getting something from a scuba company as opposed to going to EMS or somewhere with a lot of outdoor stuff and looking fleeces and things for cold weather hiking?

I just dove a dry suit yesterday for the first time and think it's something I will keep up with. Even if I rent the suit for a while I figured I should look into undergarments since they are much cheaper. I was just wondering if there was any info out there comparing the different types of materials for undergarments and what temps they are good for. Also, is there an advantage to getting something from a scuba company as opposed to going to EMS or somewhere with a lot of outdoor stuff and looking fleeces and things for cold weather hiking?

It all really depends on what temperature water you'll be diving in. I have 3 different undergarments. I will wear a drysuit almost year round. If he water is 80- + I will just wear some Under Armor (just enough clothes to keep the suit squeeze form pinching me too bad- & I dive with lots of suit squeeze). For waters 80- 60 degrees I have a Pinnacle 150 gram fleece jumpsuit. I wore these in the springs of FL & was quite comfy. For Waters colder than that I have a generic 400gm fleece jumpsuit that I'll wear in waters to about 40 degrees. I also have a Pinnacle 650 gram jumpsuit that I will wear in the winter or in even colder water. They WILL keep me snug as a bug in a rug. I have done an hour long dive in them in Feb. with water temps of 41 top to bottom & air temps of about 28. Except for my hands & exposed face, I was very warm; in fact my buddy called the dive because HE was getting cold in his drysuit (wearing Weezles). I think he had a very slight leak though :wink: . The only things about those thickest undergarments I'm not crazy about is their bulk & buoyancy. They make it very difficult to move in the drysuit. I kind of feel like the kid in the winter clothes in a "Christmas Story". Wobbling back & forth to walk & arms stuck straight out to the sides. They also are very lofty & thus very buoyant. In my double LP 95's I must use a 5lb V-weight to be able to stay down when the tanks are getting towards empty. You don't even want to know how much weight I have to use when diving recreational with them. It's embarrassing. The one good thing about the pinnacles is they are reasonably priced starting at about a bit over $300 for the thickest on down, depending on thickness. You will want to get a undergarments that fit well, are warm & will wick moisture away from the body to keep you warm.

Part of the reason I was asking was my local EMS had some wicking fleece stuff on sale for less than $100 for a top and bottom. It was super warm when I tried it on in the store and seems a lot cheaper than what people pay for dry suit specific undergarments. Though the ebay stuff seems pretty inexpensive as well.

If it is warm & will wick moisture away from the body, then it will probably be sufficient. The only other thing you may want to consider,...is how well it will fit under a drysuit. If it is not binding or too bulky for a drysuit, then you'll probably be fine.

I picked up a 200g and a 300g fleece jumpsuit off eBay and they work just fine. Don't forget about socks too.

One thing I did learn the hard way, always wear some sort of full length undergarment. I was diving 72 degree water yesterday just in trunks and a t-shirt. Compression/pinching of the trilam against your skin is not fun.

Posted a more complete reply on the "Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments" thread.

However, I just received the Antartic undergarments I bought on e-bay. Fantastic service. Dive in them this weekend and will reply further. However, if they are anywhere as good as the service I received from Ron, they will be an exceptional valure.

v/r

Jan

Just tossing out another option

I just started diving with my dry suit and have no intention of spending the money on an undergarment when I can get the same protection from some cold weather camping clothes such as fleece pants and woolen sweater, which is cheaper and easier to maintain.

Just tossing out another option

I just started diving with my dry suit and have no intention of spending the money on an undergarment when I can get the same protection from some cold weather camping clothes such as fleece pants and woolen sweater, which is cheaper and easier to maintain.

Excellent suggestion!

For water temps above 40 degrees F, I can attest to the convenience and effectiveness of using layers of fleece outdoor wear, which I've done for years. I love being able to mix and match garments to the dive conditions and activity levels. The ease of laundering is a big plus, too!

In addition to whatever garments are used, a homemade chest pad can make a huge improvement in warmth.

I folded two pieces of flat fleece material to create a couple of two-layered pads about 12x18". When both pads are used together, they are about 1/4" thick when compressed. No sewing was needed and the cost was under $4.

I wear the 4-layered chest pad between my 100 weight polypropylene underwear inner layer and my outer layer of 300 weight fleece garment.

In water temps of 50 to 60 degrees, if the dives are going to be shorter than an hour and/or quite active, I might reduce the chest pad to two layers, but I'm a guy who never feels too warm on a dive. :)

For water temps below 50 degrees I always use 4 layers of chest pad.

In water colder than 40F, I've found that a diving-specific non-fleece undergarment appears to be better at creating the so-called micro-climate of warm air next to the skin.

Nevertheless, under 40 degrees, even with my Weezle Extreme Plus, I still add my homemade fleece chest pad. It gets rid of that feeling that one is lying bare-chested on a cold marble slab.... :D

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom