Drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Quick question about drysuit undergarments. I'm broke and can't afford the $300 DUI fleece undergarments for a while. But I'm diving next week.

Any suggestions of regular clothes I could get away with in 46 degree water? I'm hoping some long johns and a sweat suit will work. any advice?

Thermal underwear and a fleece jogging suit with an extra sweater if you have one. If you don't have fleece then use wool. Layer. No cotton. If your fleece has a zipper watch that it isn't going to dig in to you when the suit is under pressure.

DUI undergarments are ridiculously overpriced. Look into Waterproof. They have a nice one that's light and flexible for about $90.

R..

I currently am in the same boat as you, saving to buy a undergarment. The water temp here is currently at 46 degrees and I wear patagonia long underware with a sweat shirt and sweat pants over the top. I stay warm and have yet to get cold. The longest dive has been for 43 min, with 46 degree water.

I did 40 minutes in 39 degree water and wore polypropolene (sp?) long johns and a Nike Dri-Fit base layer T. For socks...poly...then wool...then fleece...although my boots are a size to big. Anyways...I wasn't cold on this dive and no fancy undergarments neither! :wink: :D

Do you have a thick polartec jacket and pants, like the kind often used for backpacking? If you do, wear the normal polypropolene long underwear, and put the jacket and pants on and then get into your dry suit. It may not be as compact as the one piece long johns but it would be a better choice than cotton sweat clothes. While this may or may not be the best suggestion of what to do, it may get you thinking in a different direction about the problem.

Mark Vlahos

[hijack]Mark, I ordered up one of those masks. Thanks![/hijack]

Knowing the material of your suit would make the answers a lot more useful.

I can say that in my 7mm neoprene drysuit long johns and highly synthetic sweats did nicely to the mid 40s. Below the mid 40s I wear a Bare T-100 and long polypro UW.

In 54F polypro long UW alone in the drysuit were dandy for 90 minutes.

As for crushed neoprene and trilaminates I duno.

Pete

NYC-Diver:
Quick question about drysuit undergarments. I'm broke and can't afford the $300 DUI fleece undergarments for a while. But I'm diving next week.

Any suggestions of regular clothes I could get away with in 46 degree water? I'm hoping some long johns and a sweat suit will work. any advice?

I have a buddy who uses the following combo and claims to stay warm in his shell suit (45-50 degree F):

poly thermal underwear as a wicking layer
polar fleece farmer-john from outdoor store
polar fleece pullover top

Total cost was about $100.

I'd be cold in that getup, but he claims he's comfortable.

-Ben M.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom