Drysuit undergarments: Viking or DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian_Diver:
Don't know what is up with Jonnythan. I guess he's never seen real cold or snow. He should try making a trek up to the Canuckistan Prairies, where winter air temperatures frequently reach beyond -76F with the windchill.

Maybe us Canucks are just more hardy, or maybe we just happen to know a thing or two about dressing warm and staying warm while exerting ourselves during our cold winters.

I do know that the Helly-Hansen sells some of the best coldweather gear on the market, and usually exceeds some of the toughest standards around. SARC, Military, and other such organizations use their thermalwear worldwide. Nevermind the huge saturation of their wares into mountaineering, skiing, and other coldweather sports.

Can that many people be wrong about their thermal properties?

Helly-Hansen Workwear
You Canucks may certainly be more hardy and cold-resistant naturally than us New Orleans-bred boys, but polypropylene alone is NOT sufficient insulation.

The thing you linked to is a multi-layer suit with polyester fiber-fill insulation, not "one-piece polypropylene thermalwear."

In any case, your post certainly did NOT need the insulting tone, and before you attempt to accuse anyone of never having seen real cold, get your facts straight because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and if you're exerting yourself during your dives, you might want to get some training to show you how to be very calm and relaxed. Your heart rate while diving should really be your resting heart rate.. if it's any higher, you should slow down and take things easy. In fact, you may notice that when you're this calm underwater you get chilled more quickly.

outlaws:
Get a Weezle Extreme Plus! You won't be cold.
Dive Safe, Dive Often
Butch :scubadive

Seconded. Weezle, end of discussion :wink:

jpedwards:
Seconded. Weezle, end of discussion :wink:
Yeah, I'm a little turned off by those because I've heard they need a lot of air in the suit to loft and stay warm, and I'd rather have the minimal amount of air in there.

So, no one uses the Viking stuff, huh? Interesting.

stackingreasyBBs:
No doubt that you're more hardy when it comes to cold than me, that's for sure. That's why I want to make sure to get the warmest suit I can without excessive bulk and restriction. The HH stuff looks pretty good, if it's warm enough, but how bout freedom of movement? How is it if (when) it gets wet?

No bulk at all with the HH stuff. Very light and good freedom of movement. Even a trap door for the toilet, and a 2 way zipper up the front for quick escape in the even of CBS (Critical Bladder/Bowel Squeeze). :D

The HH stuff sheds water. If I get a squirt of water down one of my seals (very rare), the moisture is wicked away from the body. They dry extremely fast because of this. The materials do not hold water. It breathes very good as well.

My buddies and I have been wearing them (or similar products from MEC - Mountain Equipment Co-Op) with a thin layer of polypropylene. Alot of this stuff is designed for mountaineering and snow, so it's meant to keep you warm, even if you get wet / damp / sweaty.

jonnythan:
You Canucks may certainly be more hardy and cold-resistant naturally than us New Orleans-bred boys, but polypropylene alone is NOT sufficient insulation.

The thing you linked to is a multi-layer suit with polyester fiber-fill insulation, not "one-piece polypropylene thermalwear."

In any case, your post certainly did NOT need the insulting tone, and before you attempt to accuse anyone of never having seen real cold, get your facts straight because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Jonny, I hope that if you have family back home still, that they are safe and sound. It's a terrible thing that happened to that great city, and my heart (along with many other Canucks) go out to those poor people.

I see that perhaps my posting was a bit misleading, I was referring to poly-only for a very thin internal layer underneath the Speiz one-piece thermals for added protection. Such a product as this MEC - Power Dry Union Suit . Polyester / Polypropylene are very similar in structure and properties.

With regards to insults, it's unfortunate that you didn't stop consider the tone of your own posts before clicking to complete. If my post appeared 'insulting' to you, I apologize. I didn't see anything insulting about it what so ever. Maybe you're feeling a bit defensive and therefore created the perception of insult. I assure you, it was't meant to be insulting.

However you wish to proceed or respond to my posts is entirely up to you, but I shall not dirty my hands by responding negatively to your own questionable post.

In the meantime, please don't make assumptions about my knowledge of coldweather dressing and survival. You haven't a clue what I've done or what my accomplishments are.

jonnythan:
Oh, and if you're exerting yourself during your dives, you might want to get some training to show you how to be very calm and relaxed. Your heart rate while diving should really be your resting heart rate.. if it's any higher, you should slow down and take things easy. In fact, you may notice that when you're this calm underwater you get chilled more quickly.

Uh. I was referring to exertion above water.

If you want to start talking about this stuff, send me a PM instead of hijacking the thread. I'd be more than happy to discuss the finer points of diving, thermal wear, exertion, and different types of diving that can't afford pleasure dives.

Hmm, alrighty, another option, then. I already have some poly-pro undies, I'll look into that Spiez suit. Having trouble finding it online though. Some retailers have a section marked "Workwear" but don't have that in it. Perhaps I suck at the internet, I'll look some more.

stackingreasyBBs:
Hmm, alrighty, another option, then. I already have some poly-pro undies, I'll look into that Spiez suit. Having trouble finding it online though. Some retailers have a section marked "Workwear" but don't have that in it. Perhaps I suck at the internet, I'll look some more.

Got anything like "Mark's Work Warehouse" or the such out there in NH?

Here's a Canadian site that sells HH online... you'll get even more bang for your buck with the exchange rate. They list the Speiz @ $120 CDN:

Weaver & Devore Trading Co.

Back
Top Bottom