Drysuit undergarments: Viking or DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stackingreasyBBs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I have a birthday coming up and my fiance wants to get me an undergarment to stop me from whining about being cold. I can get the Viking Arctic Plus for $215 through an old instructor of mine, but I've also been hearing great stuff about the DC TPS Extreme. Which would you choose? Right now I have a Viking Extreme trilam drysuit (though the undersuit would probably outlast the suit) diving in, at the coldest, probably 37 degree water. But I get cold incredibly easily, I was built for the Carribean apparently.

Also, where are people buying DC stuff these days, and for what prices? Can't seem to find an online retailer, and the LDS's around here don't carry them.

Thanks all.

The DC stuff is really, really, really nice IMO/IME - however it is expensive. I've dealt with these guys, very solid customer service: http://www.scubacenter.com/drysuit.htm

Otherwise, if you are looking for a bargain, the DUI 400g UW is very warm and can be found pretty frequnetly on ebay for $100-150

EDIT: I don't see the DC underwear listed on that site anymore - although I'm sure they can still get it. The TPS extreme 200g (non-strenght) retails at around $400, I think there might be a set for sale on www.thedecostop.com now - but I'm not sure???

Get a Weezle Extreme Plus! You won't be cold.
Dive Safe, Dive Often
Butch :scubadive

DC TPS Thinsulate Extreme. :D
Mine is custom cut and is very nice and stretchy. Worth every cent I paid for it. :wink:
Got it from NTD. Give them a call or send them an email.

TPS Thinsulate Extreme is excellent... i got mine for $50.00 on Ebay
(you got to keep your eyes open, and take your time)

stackingreasyBBs:
I can get the Viking Arctic Plus for $215 through an old instructor of mine, but I've also been hearing great stuff about the DC TPS Extreme. Which would you choose?

Neither.

Save yourself some coin by going down to your nearest Helly-Hansen dealer. Get yourself a pair of the Speiz one-piece polypropylene thermalwear. Also grab from your nearest mountaineering / ski-shop (who actually might even sell Helly-Hansen), and get yourself a set of thin lightweight polypropylene undergarments. Don't forget the socks too. Minimal to no airtrapping, wicks moisture away, and keep you warm warm warm!!

I wear an Oceanic Aerdura trilaminate. This is the setup I use for undergarments and consistantly dive in 36 to 48F waters up here in the cold north of Canuckistan. My setup cost me less than $200 CDN.

I dunno what's up with Canadian Diver, but polypro underwear by itself in 40 degree water is dangerously insufficient and will give you about the same insulation as a 3mm wetsuit.

The DC suits are fantastic. I recommend them to everyone.

Don't know what is up with Jonnythan. I guess he's never seen real cold or snow. He should try making a trek up to the Canuckistan Prairies, where winter air temperatures frequently reach beyond -76F with the windchill.

Maybe us Canucks are just more hardy, or maybe we just happen to know a thing or two about dressing warm and staying warm while exerting ourselves during our cold winters.

I do know that the Helly-Hansen sells some of the best coldweather gear on the market, and usually exceeds some of the toughest standards around. SARC, Military, and other such organizations use their thermalwear worldwide. Nevermind the huge saturation of their wares into mountaineering, skiing, and other coldweather sports.

Can that many people be wrong about their thermal properties?

Helly-Hansen Workwear

No doubt that you're more hardy when it comes to cold than me, that's for sure. That's why I want to make sure to get the warmest suit I can without excessive bulk and restriction. The HH stuff looks pretty good, if it's warm enough, but how bout freedom of movement? How is it if (when) it gets wet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom