Drysuit Undergarments & temp ranges (Fourth Element)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I recently decided to order a Fourth Element custom drysuit, and can get a J2 & Arctic in my size second hand for ~50% off. I'm thinking of getting the Xerotherm new as well and not sure how I should be layering as I run very cold vs typical guidelines. I can't find temperature guidelines for Xerotherm/Arctic online.

To give a sense of how cold I run I currently wear a 3mm in 29-30C, a 5mm in 27-28C, a 7mm in 25-26C, a 7mm+5/3mm hooded vest down to 20C (can last but feel very cold after 30min). Coldest I've dived was 16C where I wore ~15mm of neoprene on my core (7mm full + a rented 3mm shorty + borrowed 3mm hooded vest + 2mm vest) and still wanted to gtfo b/c of cold after 30min. I mostly go on dive trips where I am diving 3-4x/day for 7-10 days straight (liveaboards).

For drysuit I've only tried with my J2 in 29-30C waters, and I was very comfortable/not too hot but did come up a bit damp afterwards. My next trip will have water temp in 20-22C range with possible thermoclines down to 16C on some dives. I have the used J2 and Arctic now and am debating whether to order the Xerotherm, or if I can get away with just J2 and Arctic. The surface temp will be 25-28C I think.

I've tried the Arctic in my 26C AC'ed room and it felt pretty hot. Would it be overkill for 20-22C diving? Would I be better off with J2+Xerotherm combo instead? Or even something like J2+Uniqlo Ultrawarm stuff?

Does the below plan look about right for someone who runs really cold?
J2 for 29-30C
Xerotherm for 25-28C
J2+Xerotherm for 22-25C
Arctic for 18-22C
Xerotherm+Artic for 16-18C

How much additional weight do you add going from J2 > Xerotherm > Arctic? I'm using 3kg w J2 now, instructor guessed it should double for Arctic.

I have Xerotherm, Arctic, and Halo-3D. I think I've only worn the Arctic while cave diving in Florida and Mexico where the water is 22-25°C. I've never worn just the Xerotherm. It was purchased to wear under the Halo 3-D that was supposed to be the warmest insulation ever, and wasn't. When diving in the Great Lakes, bottom temps are typically 3-6°C, and I wear Patagonia midweight base layer, Xerotherm, and the Halo 3-D. I sometimes added a heated vest too. I recently switched to a Santi BZ400E, and it is warmer than the Xerotherm/Halo 3-D combo. YMMV

I ended up going w Xerotherm for 27-29, Arctic top w Xerotherm bottoms for 23-26. At 23 I still felt chilly but much warmer than I'm used to feeling in my 7mm wetsuit. I reckon I can tolerate up to 20 in Arctic w the pants. If I layer Xerotherm and Arctic maybe I can handle 16-20. I only regret buying the J2 as I don't feel hot in Xerotherm even in 29-30 water but do feel cold in J2 when it drops to 27ish, so J2 is reserved for 29-30, in which case I can manage w a wetsuit.

You need what you need and you need enough lead to let it work.
Luckily I only need 2kg even in the drysuit! And turns out I don't need any lead w my 3mm wetsuit.

I love the Xerotherm's. Use these for anything between 20-28 with thermoclines down to 15 in the teens/low 20's they can run a little cold but I have never spend extended periods of time at those temps with just the Xerotherm's after that would add more layers.

But I can easily do 4+hr dives in mid 20's with just the Xerotherm and am more than comfy and that is scooter dives with lots and lots of deco so basically very little exercise/heat generation. For reference when I do dives like that in a semi-dry 6/5 wetsuit I am always cold.

Luckily I only need 2kg even in the drysuit! And turns out I don't need any lead w my 3mm wetsuit.
How much extra lead did u need with xeoterm and actic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom