Drysuit tryout dive help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cram

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've finally decided it's time to move to a drysuit, and I'm hoping to do a tryout dive with a second-hand one that I'm considering buying. I have never dove a drysuit before. I'm not real keen on paying for/waiting for a full drysuit cert course, and I had a couple of drysuit-experienced buddies who were willing to help me out this weekend, but they've had a change of plans and can't make it. So I'm wondering if anybody out there is willing to take a little time this Sunday to help me get weighted properly and do a nice easy dive, maybe at Porteau. My thanks could be provided in the form of :beer: :D

Congrats on coming to your senses and joining the dry side!!!

I'd be happy to join you if I get my regs back from servicing in time. If I don't join you, good luck with the suit and be sure and stop to admire the view as you hang by your feet after being pulled to the surface :)

Hi guys,

Kyle's already offered to help me out with the suit on Saturday. So when we figure out where we're going I'll post so you can all come point at laugh at me floating head down at the surface :D

Get/rent/obtain some weighted fins or some ankle weights.
Yep, the guy who's selling the suit has heavy fins, hood, hose, etc. for me to borrow.

What type of suit? Neoprene or Shell type?
Neoprene. It's an Oceaner Commercial Polar.

You've researched recovery techniques and neutral ascents in a dry suit?
Yeah, I've read the theory, and the guy I'm buddying with is a DM and he's offered to run through some knowledge and do some skills/drills with me.

Nice choice.
I hope so. There don't seem to be many fans of neoprene suits here on SB, and I haven't found a whole lot of info on Oceaner online, but what I have heard seems to be mostly positive, especially for the Commercial Polar.

Be sure it fits you right. Good fit is very important.
Yeah, I've tried it on once (just on land), and I'm told by someone who knows better than I that it fits me great height-wise but may be big widthwise. I'm really hoping it will work because I'm on a budget and I think I'm getting a good deal on this suit, plus as a thick neoprene, undergarment costs should be minimal.

I hope so. There don't seem to be many fans of neoprene suits here on SB, and I haven't found a whole lot of info on Oceaner online, but what I have heard seems to be mostly positive, especially for the Commercial Polar.

One reason is if you are planning on doing deeper dives, neoprene suit lose some of their insulating qualities as pressure increases (the air cells in the neoprene get compressed due to pressure - this results in a thinner layer seperating 'you' from the 'cold'). There is much to see around 60 - 100 feet in this area, so bag suits are more popular as they basically have the same insulating qualities at 10 feet as they do at 100'.

neoprene suit lose some of their insulating qualities as pressure increases
Yep, I'm acutely aware of this right now as I'm diving a wetsuit that suits me just fine in 10C at less then about 30ft, but gets dramatically worse by even 60ft at the same temperature.

This particular neoprene drysuit is made of Rubatex G-231N which is apparently far superior to most neoprene in terms of how much it compresses under pressure. I've been told that it will keep me warm well past 100ft, but I'm certainly going to verify this before I buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom