Drysuit Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrojanCatMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my first drysuit. On my second time out with it I noticed that during my descent I went turtle (belly up!). This has never been a problem before with rental suits. Any one have any idea why this is happening? I think it might be do to air not being in my bc, but still having air in my suit. Once I begin the dive I have no trouble.

To answer any gear questions before hand: Custom DUI 50/50 and I dive a BP/W.

Also during my dive I ocassionally like to invert myself slightly to look at something or to grab do collections. Does this get easier as you learn your suit or is there any tips? To do this I have been letting all the air out of my suit until it squeezes me, its somewhat effective... but nothing like I use to do in a wetsuit. I thought about gaiters but I dont believe in buying gear to solve what could be a skill issue.

What tank do you dive with or did you dive with tank you usually dive with?

Only times I have ever felt like anything possibly 'taking me over' have been when I have dived a tank that has been overtly heavy for me (steel). Then typically it would be more of an issue in the beginning of the dive, having all the weight on the back (not needing much other weight because of very negative tank), possibly having the webbing a bit loose too, and depleting all (full tank balancing) air from the wing, and carelessly taking a quick look down.... So in short... an imbalance issue...

Good luck with new DS, I am getting used to my new one and loving it. No turtles this far as I had feared, yee!

I have dove this tank wet many times with no problems. Is a AL 92 (Dacor 1988). The thing is a mother of a tank about the size of an HP130.

I also dive an Catalina AL80. But dont remember if I had this problem with this tank.

Jeremy-

Haven't ever experienced a turtle as you described (keep in mind, I only have ~20 DS dives) , but my guess would be the same as piiki - an imbalance issue.

As for the inverting, it was harder for me at first because I was only using the DS for buoyancy, and ignoring the wing. Once I started to use the wing and just keep a good squeeze going with the suit, it became easier. Also, I picked up a set of gaiters because my suit is a little baggy (even for a trilam as I'm tall and skinny). I don't really think of it as buying gear to solve a skill issue (such as some might criticize ankle weights) as much as just making your suit fit your legs a bit better. And they do really help.

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom