Drysuit trim advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had my new dry suit out on Sat. for the first time and all went very well except for some trim problems.
I could control my bouyancy well with my body slightly tilted up from head to fins but as I would try to level out to get some air to my legs and feet to reduce the squeeze, my feet would start to raise to an uncomfortable swimming position. This made sense to me as there is no weight (or very little) on the lower half of the body. My buddy had some ankle weights for me to try and it pretty much solved the trim issue as I could then distribute some air to my lower half and get rid of the squeeze without my fins taking off.
Is this normal or am I missing something? I do have light fins.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

It sounds typical especially if your fins are "light"

Many times divers "outgrow" the need for ankle weights but in the end they just simulate what a negative fin would do and they are cheaper than new fins.

Gaitors and controlling your posture can also serve to lessen the need.

Be sure to only have air needed for lofy/ warmth in the suit.

Pete

It is sometimes normal. Depends on the type of suit and undergarments. If you have a looser suit, it could give you more buoyancy issues. Ankle weights work for some people, but I would recommend trying metal springs on fins instead of weights. Ankle weights can slide, prevent air movement to your feet, and have something else to worry about if they fall off. Metal springs will just attach to your fins and should not have some of the issues associated with weights. All in all, if that works for you, well by all means continue using the ankle weights.

Enjoy the drysuit, you will learn to love it!

Heavier fins help. I prefer Jet fins to my OMS slipstreams in a dry suit. Gaiters on the legs can also help by restricting air flow to the lower portion of the legs.

The most important thing though is to only put enough gas in the suit to either:

1. prevent a sqeeze - which means you dive the suit comfortably snug,
2. or in very cold water,ensure the insulation is fully lofted

Proper weighting becomes critical as being over weighted means either having to carry too much gas in the suit or splitting the bouyancy between the suit and the BC. For a properly weighted reasonably sized single tank (70-80 cu ft) diver, the suit can usually be used for bouyancy control and many dry suit instructors teach dry suit coirses that way to allow the student to only have one air volume to manage. But if you are over weighted at all, have a large single tank or are wearing double tanks, stage bottles, etc, then you will need to use the BC for the additonal air volume needed to maintain neutral bouyancy.

In terms of leg/foot squeeze, the type of boots make a difference. Conventional attached boots can create a very uncomfortable sqeeze. I have noted that rock boots or similar types of boots worn over a flexible "sock" connected to the suit create much less discomfort and will let youstay vertical in the suit with less air and no feeling of foot squeeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom