Drysuit training class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSAR592

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Our squad is considering the possibility of hosting a drysuit training class. This is all new to us and we need the training. I haven't seen many of these classes in this area ( lower Alabama USA ). We have used Dive rescue intl. in the past and have been pleased with them. I also have read about Team life guard systems. My question is: Can I get some info from squads that have hosted classes like this about different public safety trainers and drysuit training. We currently have the viking pro 1000 and Whites drysuits. Thanks Ken

What specifically would you like to know?

Have seen both LGS and DRI PSD programs but only LGS's for the drysuit - I'm fairly well versed in their program. I can't imagine that they would be that different (the drysuit training) but you never know.

Key things about drysuit training; avoid any that teach to pull a seal for emergency venting and/or teach to use the suit vs the BCD for buoyancy control. These are red flags

You will not need a PSD type course for drysuit work. Our unit (north mississippi) just uses a standard drysuit course. (we have an instructor on staff). The main thing is to make sure that your instaructor in well versed in encapsulation. unless you are only diving in cold known clean water looking for evidence and never bodies or cars or other biological hazrds, not being taught proper encapsulation will make the drysuit pointless. Remeber we use it not only to keep the cold out, but mainly to keep the bad stuff out.

Where in lower AL are you?

You will not need a PSD type course for drysuit work.

Maybe, maybe not. A standard drysuit course will teach you to pull seals and use the suit for bouyancy control in place of the BCD. A standard drysuit class instructor will probably not know how to train in blackwater or add a harness into the mix.
Your point about encapsulation is a good one too - standard courses won't higlight or be aware of that either.

Having a PSD drysuit cert (although probably more expensive and not as conveniant) will also give more legitamacy to the cert in that its not a simple sport diving card

true... on all counts. you have to make sure that your instructor is trainined in PSD. standard drysuit course will not teach stuff like encapsulation. we just lucked out and our insturctor is one of the team so he has been through PSD training with us

As an example of a PSD dry suit course:

The ERD Drysuit OPS course is designed to develop the knowledge and skills that are necessary for drysuit diving operations in emergency response diving. In addition to the fundamental skills of drysuit diving, other important topics include encapsulation, contaminated environments, protecting potable water supplies and decontamination procedures. Drysuit OPS training is also part of the ERD II curriculum.

http://www.tdisdi.com/index.php?did=34&site=4

Key things about drysuit training; avoid any that teach to pull a seal for emergency venting and/or teach to use the suit vs the BCD for buoyancy control. These are red flags

Please enlighten us on why one should not use the suit for buoyancy. If you dive dry to keep any contaminates out the suit should have a double exhaust valve and using it to dump excess buoyancy should not be a problem.

DSAR592:
Our squad is considering the possibility of hosting a drysuit training class. This is all new to us and we need the training. I haven't seen many of these classes in this area ( lower Alabama USA ). We have used Dive rescue intl. in the past and have been pleased with them. I also have read about Team life guard systems. My question is: Can I get some info from squads that have hosted classes like this about different public safety trainers and drysuit training. We currently have the viking pro 1000 and Whites drysuits. Thanks Ken

Are the Whites dry suits vulcanized rubber or neoprene?

We are located in Daphne Alabama. Our squad wants to start using drysuits for all of our operations so that we are contimination free. I just sent the whites drysuits off for hood repair and general inspection. They appear to be made out of a heavy duty canvas type material.

Please enlighten us on why one should not use the suit for buoyancy.

Judging by your choice of words (enlighten?) it sounds to me like you don't really want to hear an answer. If this is the way you dive don't take it so personally - I realize that lots of commercial divers dive this way.

PSD is not commercial diving. We've got different rules

sheesh:shakehead:

Its got nothing to do with the exhaust valve BTW

We are located in Daphne Alabama. Our squad wants to start using drysuits for all of our operations so that we are contimination free. I just sent the whites drysuits off for hood repair and general inspection. They appear to be made out of a heavy duty canvas type material.

You might find it difficult to clean the Whites dry suits after a dive that does have a contaminate involved. The Vulcanized rubber shell of the Viking and also made by Amron, DUI or Hunter is the only suit that you can be effectively decontaminated.

Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom