Drysuit Student

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a couple more thoughts about experiences that I've seen:
I had a buddy on his third dive start an uncontrolled feet first ascent at around 50'. Kick as hard as he could towards the bottom all he could do was hold his position. He also was not able to descend because he was trying dump his bcd from the hose as Mempilot referenced. I got to him and had to pull his rear dump (please no jokes :wink: ) As he started to descend his composure came back and he was able to remain in control for the rest of the dive. Arriving on the surface he told me how freaked out he was becoming by going feet first and that he hadn't even thought of using his rear dump. The rest of our dives he was fine, because he chose not to put any more gas in his suit than was absolutely needed.

IMHO - BCSean is correct about the dynamic instability of gas in your suit.

When I first learned to dive dry my first exposure was in the pool. I did the somersaults no problem. Then my instructor handed me a 20# weightbelt and told me to take it to the bottom of the pool. I was also told not to hold my breath and fill up my suit with air. Guess what happened. I breached the pool's water like a gray whale.
The next day I did an OW dive with said suit. I was advised to use it as my bc instead of my wing. Well I did and found that air shifted way to much for my liking (dynamic instability) so I went back to using my wing. I dive occasionally in warm water, so it makes sense to me to use my wing as my primary buoyancy device. This way I'm not changing techniques when I go from diving dry to diving wet.

You can. A little air down there will help keep you warm down there.

stsomewhere:
Total noob question: Can't you wear gaiters so your leg area of the drysuit won't be able to hold enough air to cause a problem???

Hal:
Can a wetsuit be a good undergarment for warmth when using a drysuit?

I have one dive buddy who uses a skin and 1-2 mil suit under her Mares Drysuit. She's quite comfortable and her setup really works for her.

stsomewhere:
Total noob question: Can't you wear gaiters so your leg area of the drysuit won't be able to hold enough air to cause a problem???

Yeah. I never used them, though. I used to use ankle weights on with my old O'Neill 7000x suit, but when I didn't bother to put them on, it really wasn't that big of a deal - my feet were just a bit lighter. If I felt myself starting to cork, I just took a second and forced my feet down while purging my suit. Not really a big deal.

I've changed to a DUI CLX 50/50 and the rockboots kind of function as gatorwraps - but I still have to pause every now and again to purge the suit. Again, not a big deal - just something to deal with as your depth changes.

Hal:
Can a wetsuit be a good undergarment for warmth when using a drysuit?
This is really not recommended. Once you close the zipper on the drysuit, the airspace almost immediately goes to 100% humidity. A wetsuit doesn't breath, so it traps the moist air against your body. You will perspire profusely, dehydrate quicker, feel wet, have restricted movement, etc... Try wearing breathable fabrics with moisture wicking properties. Duofold make long underwear used for skiing and other outdoor sports. It works well as a next to the skin undergarmet. I just switched from Duofold to Nike Dryfit and UnderArmour. They seem to work great also at wicking moisture away from the skin. Then you can wear any 2nd layer needed for the temperature of the water you're diving in. I wear UnderArmor's thin fleece. By layering a moisture wicking thin fabric with different thicknesses of fleece, you can dive in almost any temp water. I don't like the one-piece fleece suits, because they don't give me the flexibility when it starts to warm up.

I went through the drysuit class successfully. The only problem i had was getting water in at the neck seal from moving my head around to much, that 57 degree water was a shocker when it went down my spine. Inversion drills went fine, even when the instructor really overinflated me while I hung on to the platform upside down. We used the suit for bouyance control, I didn't care for doing that way and will use my BCD. The suit was a borrowed one,Henderson Neoprene 7mm, I have got my eye on a Bare Nex Gen from ScubaToys.com, Think it will be a good starting suit and it is in my price range. Thanks to everyone for tips and insight you gave me before I took the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom