drysuit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a short Brit (as opposed to fat yank) I have same problem. (Yours easily solved stop eating sh*t food - mine - I don't know; what makes you grow upwards not outwards??). I would say a made to measure suit is well worth the money (if you carry on the same diet and don't lose/gain weight).
My last suit fitted well but began to leak. The new one is too big and now my legs float up and bouyancy is hard to get right. I am thinking of getting it altered to overcome this but I sure wish I had bought a better fitting one in the first place.
BTW pls stop posting prices - its £=$ here - DUI are about $1300 in Europe!! Jealous!!

Chris

Geeese, that does suck.
Quite painful actually.....
Now if I ate fast food, I would be a well rounded guy......
Sure the bouyancy isn't from the heat & gas produced from looking at how cheap things are over here $$$. I still can't understand why people over here complain about gas prices.
back to thread....
Is the leg length really important? I noticed a few MFGs sell Large-Short suits for people like me and you.... Still a good price that way and no mods.

Hey Dr. Frank,

I am exactly your size. 5' 9", 193 lbs, 44-45 chest, 36 waist. I also went through the same process. I bought a stock large (dui tls350) and the only place that it is too long or big is in the legs. It's really not a problem though. I have seen many divers at the local quarry with the same problem. I (and others) just fold over the extra around the top of the rock boot and there you go. Because the rock boot is so heavy and because I fold it under at the ankles I don't get baggy or lofty legs. My legs also fill up the suit width wise so it's just extra length and not big baggy bottoms. Does that make sense? If you have skinny legs you might have more of a problem I'm thinking.

I do suggest trying on a stock large first if you can at your LDS!!! That's an expenxive gamble to take. Any local store that doesn't have a stock large in may not be worth buying from. You might as well buy from the internet if they can't help you. I called DUI myself and gave them my measurements to be sure even after I tried on a stock large. They were very helpful and nice too.

Fit is important but a few inches isn't going to kill you. It is a bag after all. With that said, a little big is better than a little small. I said a little. One place to be careful is in measuring the torso. If you torso is too big, you are screwed. No alterations in the middle of the suit! At the same time, too big and baggy can be bad too. If the arms are baggy you could have problems dumping air from your exhaust. My wife lost 30 pounds and now her stock medium is too baggy in the arms and the exhaust valve bunches up. Bad!

DUI will take two inches off the ends (legs/arms) for extra $ but by the time you do that you might as well get custom. Other web sites also do work/alterations on suits for less than DUI will do it. I haven't tried them but others on the board have. I wonder if that would void the warranty? I think I remember drysuitrepairs.com? Any help people?

With all this said, I am fine with my purchase but I think my wife feels that the extra cash on custom would have been worth it for her and I agree. Personal choice I guess. Try one on (stock large) before you buy it though! Extra large will be too big in my opinion. I worry about your shoulders and torso/girth more than the legs fitting.
Good luck! JMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom