drysuit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been trying to remove the idea about buying a custom suit, primarily because of cost and because I fit all of the sizings except waist. Most of the ones I see go only up to a 41 or so without being specially made. My problem is according to the measuring chart areas I am a 43 yet I wear 36-38 in jeans/pants and I don't mean tucked under my belly. Any people else had this kind of delimma? I tried on a used TLS350 today that was made for one of the guys in the shop. It fit fine over my bulky jeans and shirt and was a 38-40. The only place it didn't fit was the shoulders which is why I didn't buy it. Any one else have this delimma and what did you do?

Unfortunately not all of us fit in the stock sizes that the manufacturers have (fortunately I do, DUI size medium :wink: )
You said that you tried on a TLS350 that was made for another person, but did you try on a stock size suit? If they don't have stock sizes in, you can do what I did. Have the dive shop take all the measurements that they need to order a custom suit, then have them contact DUI to see if you fit any of the stock sizes.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Bob3:
Viking's "American Cut" drysuits can be had with the extra room you-know-where. :wink:
The "official" term is the WIDE cut.
Check 'em out.
Does that come with a bellows pocket for my biggie size value meal?

Mitten Diver

Bob3:
Viking's "American Cut" drysuits can be had with the extra room you-know-where. :wink:
The "official" term is the WIDE cut.
Check 'em out.

I looked at the viking extreme suits. Not sure that is exactly what I was looking for but it is a possibility. The problem is everyone around here has DUI and the only places that carry anything else only has them by order. I kind of like to see things before I buy them. I think the question I was really meaning to ask is are the sizing charts really accurate when it comes to stock suits. I fit fine in the TLS-350 I tried which had a waist of 38-40. Like I said, I had jeans, belt etc on and could bend around just easily. The only place this one didn't fit was the shoulders, which is the biggest issue for me usually.

Oh...and not exactly a value meal kind of guy (at least not anymore). I went from 280 to 193 and levelled off at 220 with the mass building I do. I'm at the gym 5-6 days a week but that is another story.

How much more expensive are the made to orders? Are we talking 300-400 more? My wife is already threatening to shoot me......I have thought about hiding the .40 just in case.

Oh...and not exactly a value meal kind of guy (at least not anymore). I went from 280 to 193 and levelled off at 220 with the mass building I do. I'm at the gym 5-6 days a week but that is another story.

Good one....... Makes the skinny divers think before they pop off.

So what is the paramiters of a good fitting suit?

I am 5'9", 195#, 45" chest, 9 1/2 boot and wear 36 waist jeans.
I'm not a no neck.... I was a builder for a long time and had to quit, so some of the muscle has gone soft (tendonitis in my shoulders & knees got me).

I tried on Large suits (USIA & another popular brand) and they were both tight in the chest. The other brand I tried was too small for my wrists & chest. I have big wrists too, the suit cut the blood flow off very fast (purple hands in 15 seconds).
By all of the sizing charts I look at, I should have an XL on some points and Lg on others while some say Med for my height.

I can't afford a custom suit, so that is out of the question.

I can't afford a custom suit, so that is out of the question.
Some suit makers will make simple modifications to a suit for way less than what a custom cut would cost. (that's how they make custom suits anyway).
In your case about 6" off the legs & a boot swap should have you sitting pretty. :wink:

My LDS just told me about that option.
There is a DUI entry level shell suit with a front zip for about $950 from them, she told me it would cost between $100-$200 to have it modified.
Or, I just use it with a bit longer legs and my boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom