Drysuit repair - scrape off nylon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aerodiver88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I’ve a question that I just can’t find the answer to anywhere else & hope this audience can offer some advice.

I have a compressed neoprene drysuit that has a leak, I followed repair advice to turn it inside out & applied Black Widow liberally to the hole several times in a wide margin but it still leaks.

I’m sure I read somewhere you need to scrape off the nylon lining before applying glue or patches else water will just come through the hole & soak through the nylon around the glue/patch. But most instructions don’t mention this

Anyone else think this makes sense?

Yes. Remove the nylon on the inside so the aquaseal or repair glue can cement the neoprene. The nylon can act as a sort of capillary to move where the water is coming in.
You can carefully use a sharp pair of scissors to take that layer off, without taking any neoprene off, then apply the glue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom