Drysuit Repair- Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've identified some pinhole leaks in my trilam drysuit, I saw in some other threads a reference to using AquaSeal, and I wanted to know if it's just a matter of dabbing a bit over the hole or are there some other tricks to it (ie. patching)?

Thanks!!

If you're using the mud-dauber method, be sure the material is clean, dry and flat before applying the aquaseal to the interior side. The suit needs to lie undisturbed while the patch cures - don't let anything touch the patch. Using an accelerator like Cotol shortens the cure time but it also shortens the patch life and seems to damage the suit.

Alternatively, a bicycle inner tube patch works well. Just follow the directions.

one trick that I have found helpful is to back the repair site with waxed paper, dab the aquaseal over the pinhole cover the repair with waxed paper, squish and smooth the reapir thru the paper then wait until the aquaseal is cured before peeling off the paper. This prevents anything sticking to anything it shouldn't.

If you mix the cotol 240 properly and thoroughly into the Aquaseal it should not harm the suit material. I do not use it as a cleaner however as it is overkill and the stuff is potentially nasty to some materials when it is full strength.

Clean is also relative. Remove any skin oils and (if you ever used them, don't ever use them again as they are very persistent and hard to remove) any silicone / armor-all sprays as they will interfere with adhesion. I tend to prefer soap and water and perhaps some rubbing alcohol for degreasing and stay away from harsher potentially suit eating chemicals.

I have never noted any shortening of patch life with accellerated Aquaseal. I have a BC somewhere that had a pin hole patched with aquaseal in 1987 and the patch will be there long after the BC turns to dust. Accellerated Aquaeal is slightly les flexible, so ifyou are coating a large area (knee pad, etc) then the slow cure is worth the wait - otherwise, add cotol 240 and get it over with in 2 hours rather than 24.

Ditto the suggestion to patch the inside of the suit. It looks nicer and subjects the patch to less wear and tear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom