Drysuit Repair - DUI vs. Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
My almost 10 year old DUI TLS 350 seems to have multiple leaks at the moment. Rather than do a bunch of trial/error self-repair as we enter the the cooler fall/winter diving season, I am planning to send it to someone for a proper leak test and fix. I've used Superior DIving Repair in the past (Minnesota) with good results, but this was 8-9 years ago. I know DUI also does repairs.

Anyone have any recommendations/recent experience with either?

Thanks.

Chris

I recently sent a Bare to Superior and they did a fine job. Their customer service is also excellent. I know DUI does an excellent job as well. It depends on how fast you need it back.

I recently sent a Bare to Superior and they did a fine job. Their customer service is also excellent. I know DUI does an excellent job as well. It depends on how fast you need it back.

Thanks for the feedback....I assume this implies DUI is on the slower side?

Chris,
If you've got seam leaks then it's buggered basically. Might be worth your while asking them to check the seams first and if they are ok then go for the repair. If it is the seams then the repair might last you 10 dives or so but it''ll start up again .. slowly.

Chris,
If you've got seam leaks then it's buggered basically. Might be worth your while asking them to check the seams first and if they are ok then go for the repair. If it is the seams then the repair might last you 10 dives or so but it''ll start up again .. slowly.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip - good idea. I've had the zipper replaced relatively recently....so I don't think that is the source of the issue.

It's been a great suit and fits really well (I was measured by Faith, DUI's VP of sales, at a dive show here in Boston back in 2004)....even a "legendary" UK GUE instructor commented how well my suit fits......so here's hoping it's not the seams...:)

Chris

My buddy had seam leaks but got lucky as the suit was still under the 7 years so replaced under warranty but he tried getting it repaired a couple of times (SDS who I think you have heard of ) and he'd be dry for a few dives and then it would start up again.
My last suit ( a 350 clone) used the same material and got retired - seam leaks so fingers crossed for you.

BTW do you miss UK stuff now you're home ?

My buddy had seam leaks but got lucky as the suit was still under the 7 years so replaced under warranty but he tried getting it repaired a couple of times (SDS who I think you have heard of ) and he'd be dry for a few dives and then it would start up again.
My last suit ( a 350 clone) used the same material and got retired - seam leaks so fingers crossed for you.

BTW do you miss UK stuff now you're home ?

UK stuff I miss...lots = pub culture, London Pride (although you can find it here in the States occasionally), Mock the Week, Premier League & European football, Top Gear & the Stig (although you can find episodes on BBC America), dive boats with transom lifts (best invention EVER; all the boats I dove with out of Plymouth seemed to have them), Stoney Cove and Wraysbury (so many keen divers even with often crap & crowded conditions), manual transmission with the left hand, Scottish and Geordie accents (esp. Cheryl Cole), daily rides on the Tube and through Paddington Station......

Always good to come back to the home country...but we loved life during the 2 years we spent in the UK and London.

Chris

I just had superior put new seals on my HOG suit. This is the third suit I have sent to them for repairs and when it became apparent that I was needing new seals no one else even came to mind. Not only that but they got it done fast. I did pay for expedited repair and shipping because I needed the suit for a wreck class I was teaching. They came through with flying colors. The only repair on mine I would not send it to them for is the seams if one started to leak. But that is only because I have a lifetime warranty on the seams and anything to do with those would be a free repair.

I just had superior put new seals on my HOG suit. This is the third suit I have sent to them for repairs and when it became apparent that I was needing new seals no one else even came to mind. Not only that but they got it done fast. I did pay for expedited repair and shipping because I needed the suit for a wreck class I was teaching. They came through with flying colors. The only repair on mine I would not send it to them for is the seams if one started to leak. But that is only because I have a lifetime warranty on the seams and anything to do with those would be a free repair.

Thanks Jim

Wait! if you have a seam leak it cannot be fixed?!? Wow. Didn't know that.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom