Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airlie Pickett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Ladies! I'm looking to buy my first drysuit and I'm wondering about a few things. First off, some background info. I'm a tech/research diver who dives regularly in less than favorable conditions. My ideal suit is a custom Santi, however, being a broke college student funds are somewhat limited and I'm looking for a used one under $1500, which pretty much means a DUI which I like almost as much.

I'm wondering about the DUI sizing, according to the size chart I'm a ML in everything but the hips (41in rather than 38). I'm wondering if there is some room to work in the basic sizes or if I should go with the large?

Second question, has anyone tried the D7 Waterproof? It looks really big and bulky which is not ideal for me, though the durability with it is a definite plus.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has a used drysuit for sale I'm in the market. Thanks!

Airlie, I'm going to give you another option - USIA Techniflex. I recently had a custom one made, as I don't fit the stock sizes. It's very comparable to the DUI suits, but about $1K less for a custom suit. They're based in Oregon and so don't have the high southern California overhead costs DUI does. I'm fortunate my LDS is their biggest dealer. Cost is $1399 + $150 for custom. Plus things like two thigh pockets (with your choice of velcro or zippers) are included.

I did add the replaceable Si Tech neck and wrist seals (silicone), which added $250 to the cost of the suit, plus neoprene sock were an additional $50.

A DUI custom suit with the options I wanted would have been $1K more than what I spent for the Techniflex.

I have a review under the exposure suit forum.

Airlie, I'm going to give you another option - USIA Techniflex. I recently had a custom one made, as I don't fit the stock sizes. It's very comparable to the DUI suits, but about $1K less for a custom suit. They're based in Oregon and so don't have the high southern California overhead costs DUI does. I'm fortunate my LDS is their biggest dealer. Cost is $1399 + $150 for custom. Plus things like two thigh pockets (with your choice of velcro or zippers) are included.

I did add the replaceable Si Tech neck and wrist seals (silicone), which added $250 to the cost of the suit, plus neoprene sock were an additional $50.

A DUI custom suit with the options I wanted would have been $1K more than what I spent for the Techniflex.

Thank you I hadn't looked at those. I'll take a look!

Ok this suit looks awesome thank you so much for the recommendation you have just expanded my options immensely.

Ok this suit looks awesome thank you so much for the recommendation you have just expanded my options immensely.

You're welcome! I got good information here on SB, plus that's how I found out about the custom option (I hadn't know USIA did custom suits). DRIS (where I bought mine) is used to handling online custom suit orders. Mike (owner) or Chris (manager) are very helpful.

USIA Techniflex Front Zip Drysuit | USIA Drysuits | Dive Right In Scuba | www.diverightinscuba.com - Dive Right in Scuba

That $1399 cost is base price (doesn't include replaceable seals, etc.) Just wanted to clarify that.

I had a USIA custom suit for a while, it was great, but I found it to be very big in the shoulders/chest. I think I chose the "loose fit" option - I would recommend the "fitted" option...

Back
Top Bottom