Drysuit questions: Front zip or back zip? Trilam or crushed neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

douglasvb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If this question has been asked and answered before, my apologies...

For the last year I was diving an old used O'Neill 7000x drysuit (back zip 7mm neoprene) that served me well. It was a good starter suit at the right price. Now it's time for an upgrade and I have a bit of a quandary. My LDS only carries back zip crushed neoprene drysuits in my approximate size. They can order in trilam and front zippers if I so desire.

My questions are: Should I go with a front zipper or a rear zipper? Should I go trilam or crushed neoprene?

My diving style: I dive in the Pacific Northwest in waters that average around 45 degrees. In the winter and early spring sometimes I find myself in 33 or 34 degree water due to the snow melt. The dive sites I go to can be pretty rough (jetty scrambles, hard currents, reservoir headwaters, some light university research diving). I also do some divemaster work for a local shop with its obvious hard conditions. For me, diving isn't fun unless it's a challenge.

The suits I am considering are the BARE Trilam HD Tech Dry, BARE Trilam HD Pro Dry, BARE XCD2 Tech Dry, and BARE XCD2 Pro Dry. I have been told by many people associated with the LDS and not associated with it that BARE makes the best suit for the type of diving I do. Beyond that, opinions are all across the board on what style of suit I should get.

This would be much easier to decide if I could find a front zip and a trilam suit to try on rather than having to order blindly! :confused:

Have you ever had problems with puncturing it, Brett? Some anti-trilam people told me that it is too easy to put holes in them and flood the suits out.

...My questions are: Should I go with a front zipper or a rear zipper? Should I go trilam or crushed neoprene?...

...This would be much easier to decide if I could find a front zip and a trilam suit to try on rather than having to order blindly! :confused:

As for your first question, I think rusty hit the nail on the head. Front zips offer the convenience of easier donning (although I do know a few divers that can don a rear zip suit). Also, depending on the placement of the rear zipper, it can have an affect on arm movment since it is not flexible.

As for the second question, the material question is a judgment call. Most divers use trilams for several key reasons.
1) the thermal protection is not tied to the suit, but to the undergarments which makes it a versatile suit usable in all conditions
2) trilams dry much quicker than neoprene
3) neoprene will deteriorate over time (less time than a trilam)
4) neoprene is much heavier than a trilam
5) although crushed neoprene is probably the most durable drysuit, trilams are extremely durable suits

Lastly, I wanted to address the last part of your post. I would NOT recommend purchasing a drysuit unseen unless you know exactly what you are getting. The fit of the suit is the most critical aspect of the suit (more important than any features). Using myself as an example, I am very stocky (5'9" 200) and I tried on over 10 suits to find the one I have now. In trying them on, to get one that fit my chest and hips meant I would have had to purchase a XL suit which meant that the limbs were way too long. Now I could have used the suits, but the extra material allows for more places for air to get trapped a and affect my buoyancy and create additional drag in the water. After trying on all of these suits, I finally found a suit that fit me properly and has made all the difference in the world.

Masterof0, thanks for the information. Yes, I totally agree on not wanting to buy something without trying it on first. The LDS has the BARE XCD2 Pro Dry in stock and I have tried on several to find the correct size in that suit. I'll still have to special order even that though because they don't stock my shoe size (4XL in BARE boots). I'm 6'3" and 230ish lbs.

Does anyone know of good dive shops in Oregon that carry trilam and/or front zip suits?

Masterof0, thanks for the information. Yes, I totally agree on not wanting to buy something without trying it on first. The LDS has the BARE XCD2 Pro Dry in stock and I have tried on several to find the correct size in that suit. I'll still have to special order even that though because they don't stock my shoe size (4XL in BARE boots). I'm 6'3" and 230ish lbs.

Does anyone know of good dive shops in Oregon that carry trilam and/or front zip suits?

Douglas , I was looking at them in November, I was considering 2 options - Trilam HD Tech Dry and XCD2 Tech Dry and finally desided to go with Trilam Trilam is lighter a bit but it is colder then XCD2 - you need better undergarments. But it dries rocket fast. I do not think you can puncture a hole easy - the material is pretty hard. I was told that it withstands harsh surfaces better than XCD2. I would highly recommend you to go with Tech (front zipper). You can zip it up yourself. You cannot always find anybody on the boat who knows how to zip up the dry suit correctly and others can damage the zipper. Bare started making Trilams from a new material starting the New Year , I got mine made from the new one.

The LDS guy who I was buying the suit from is a commercial diver. He uses several of them including 2 hazmat ones and Trilam for regular dives. So i guess he would not use a bad suit :) Another dived who was part of a team filming documentaries in the arctics wears XCD2.

Overall I'm happy with the suit and would recommend it. As for the size, I think Bare gives different options and when I was buying mine the guy at the LDS took all the measurements and sent them to the factory, I got mine fitted well.

I dove Trilam in 36 F with Bare hiloft undergarments and was not cold. I got my hands cold in 5 mm cram gloves but the body was great.

I do not think you can go wrong with either XCD2 or Trilam but I would highly recommend you to get the front zipper.

Douglas,

I live in Corvallis and I currently am selling a very reasonably priced used DUI TLS350 Special Production drysuit package. It is a great suit and the package has all the accessories including two undersuits, three types or ZipSeal dry gloves, Rockboots, etc. I sent you a private message with all the details. Drop me a line if you are interested in the suit or just want to try on a trilaminate suit to see how it feels.

i havent had any issues with my trilam puncturing yet. i try to be pretty gentle on it because i would hate for it to be damaged and have to send it off! not to mention it is only a couple months old! overall, it seems pretty tough

brett

After 60+ dives and 3 years of use, my bilam, rear entry Bare still looks new (other than the latex neck seal which needs replacing).

As others have said, if I had my druthers and $$ I would go with a front entry trilam just for the added wear factor.

I've heard some people talk ill of front zips saying the zippers wear out and fail faster than rear zips. Anyone heard anything like this in one direction or another?

Thanks everyone for your input! It's nice to get opinions on this beyond what the LDS wants to sell me.

Back
Top Bottom