Drysuit Question for the Ladies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Mobby's trilaminate drysuit, which is front entry, and I like it a lot when it's not leaking :) Unfortunately, Mobby's is not currently distributed in the US, as far as I know, so that information's not very helpful.

I can weigh in on undergarments, though -- I've tried the DUI fleece and the Weezle, and ended up buying the Diving Concepts Thinsulate. The Weezle was somewhat warmer, but I couldn't cope with the buoyancy issues of having that much trapped air. The DC is warm enough, and has, more importantly, kept me warm now in two drysuit floods, one a major one. In our now 48 degree water, that's impressive, at least to me. I consider the jumpsuit and vest to be two of the best value-for-money purchases I have made of scuba gear so far.

You all are awesome! I said I wasn't going to get on the computer tonight but I had to check this thread and now I'm all absorbed in looking at drysuits online again. lol The advice you're offering is going to be extremely helpful. Hopefully some other ladies thinking of a drysuit can use it as well.

It seems like a lot of divers have the TLS350. That will definitely be at the top of the list for trying on. I'm still leaning toward front entry but guess I won't know for sure until I start trying things on. I just read about the Zip Seals and I likee. Another point for DUI. I want to read more on the Rock Boots vs Booties. Seems like with booties you may get air in your boot and then have to wear the ankle weights? Is that right?

Mania, thanks for bringing up the waist to arm length. I'm long waisted so that will be something to consider.

Mark, yes I do remember you! Are you doing any NE diving? Oh and thanks for bringing up the potty issue! :wink: I can already hear the jokes from the guys (and BabyDuck) after dives. You see the group I dive with! It may be a while before I put one of those things on but I'm sure most women break down at some point and do it for the sake of diving.

Mel

suthnbelle:
It seems like a lot of divers have the TLS350. That will definitely be at the top of the list for trying on. I'm still leaning toward front entry but guess I won't know for sure until I start trying things on.

I've had both. The front entry may be more expensive than back, but it's worth every penny. Been there, done that, got more T-shirts than I can possibly wear. :wink:

I just read about the Zip Seals and I likee. Another point for DUI. I want to read more on the Rock Boots vs Booties. Seems like with booties you may get air in your boot and then have to wear the ankle weights? Is that right?

Actually, the OPPOSITE is true. When I had my neoprene drysuit, I had to wear ankle wts because the air REALLY moves around in one of those, hence I was always plagued with floaty feet. Not so in the DUI. Because the Rock Boots lace up, they actually function much like gaitors, keeping the air from going moving around so much in the feet. I don't wear ankle wts at all since getting my DUI. :D

They're expensive, but I think DUIs are worth it. :thumb:

SubMariner:
I've had both. The front entry may be more expensive than back, but it's worth every penny. Been there, done that, got more T-shirts than I can possibly wear. :wink:

Actually, the OPPOSITE is true. When I had my neoprene drysuit, I had to wear ankle wts because the air REALLY moves around in one of those, hence I was always plagued with floaty feet. Not so in the DUI. Because the Rock Boots lace up, they actually function much like gaitors, keeping the air from going moving around so much in the feet. I don't wear ankle wts at all since getting my DUI. :D

They're expensive, but I think DUIs are worth it. :thumb:

I'm using my tax refund which is usually pretty fat (now I've probably jinxed myself) so I'm leaning toward the DUIs. Also, I have a couple shops to work with that are very reasonable in prices. I want a suit that will last. When my cavern class is over I'll get it then. I don't want to have to worry about fighting with any new gear until after that class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom