Drysuit Physics ? Trim or baggy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njaimo

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve read through many posts on drysuits here, though admittedly not ALL of them, without finding the details I write below. If I’ve duplicated something that has been discussed before, I duly apologize for missing it.

My purpose with this post is to present my point of view that baggy, over-sized drysuits are sub-optimal, and likely the cause of a persons’ issues with suit squeeze, leading to discomfort and lack of range of motion, and also trim and buoyancy issues. I am hoping to elicit comments and sharing of experiences on drysuit fit and the efficacy of gas addition to relieve one from suit squeeze, etc. So here it is, the engineers among can pipe in if I seem to botch the physics...

Unlike submarines, drysuits are non-rigid, the fabric flexes and collapses under hydrostatic (water) pressure. Pressure inside the suit is usually below ambient hydrostatic pressure (dictated to a degree by the setting of your dump valve). Also, given the suit is basically a somewhat deflated balloon, the more gas you put in it, the more buoyant it becomes (duh you say, I knew that !). These two things combine to make the relief of suit squeeze an interesting proposition.

Let me walk through a virtual experiment. We will use one full unopened can of Coca-Cola (I prefer it over Pepsi), or a can of beer if you prefer (also unopened), two zip-lock baggies of different size, and an aquarium (with or without fish). One zip lock bag is just big enough to hold the can of Coke inside when zipped shut, and the other zip-lock is much much bigger. Now, put the can inside the small bag, close the zip almost all the way and suck all the air out of it before sealing it completely. Put it in the aquarium and submerge it with your hand if you need to. The can is your body and the baggie is your drysuit, and this situation is analogous to you just submerging down a few feet with your suit dump valve fully opened. The small wrinkles on the baggie are just like those on your suit, and this represents a suit squeeze. If we actually used the smallest bag possible that would still hold the can inside, the addition of just a minute amount of air will puff the baggie like a balloon, with no wrinkles in the baggies surface, totally relieving the squeeze, and allowing your undergarments to fluff up and insulate you at their maximum capacity. Also, this minute amount of air would not cause you too much buoyancy changes given your other kit (tanks, weights, etc).

Now, lets change zip-lock baggies, and put the can in the x-large zip-lock, suck the air off it, and place in aquarium. Now we have the can sitting at the bottom of this much bigger baggie, which is also putting the squeeze on you like before. Now put the same amount of air into this bag, as you did put into the small bag above. What happens to that air you blew in ? It goes straight to the top of the bag, and does absolutely nothing to relieve the squeeze on the can down below. Your suit is still squeezing you, your insulation is pressed, your range of motion may be limited due to the fact that the suit fabric is plastered against your insulation and body. You will need to add much more gas to relieve the squeeze in this over-sized floppy suit; you may actually not be able to relieve the squeeze in a significant way before you have severe buoyancy and trim issues. You will have a large gas bubble moving about along the fabric wrinkles in your suit, but with marginal suit-squeeze relief.

Reading through some internet diving forums it is interesting to find people stating that they learn to live with suit squeeze, and sacrifice this in favor of warmth. I am here advocating that one can have less suit squeeze and therefore more warmth in a trimmer suit.

As far as I’ve understood, the north Florida cave divers came up with the “cave cut” drysuit because they did not like the large wrinkles of fabric in an over-sized suit flapping away while on scooters, and creating drag. I would venture to say, that they found it easier managing suit squeeze and buoyancy/trim an added benefit of the cave-cut suit.

In some circles though, the cave-cut versus non cave-cut discussion rages on. Cave-cut may be at the extreme of a well fitting suit (or maybe not), but you do want a close-fitting suit as opposed to a baggy suit. Drysuit makers could follow form and function from outdoor clothing makers like Patagonia, North Face, REI, MEC, and others worldwide -- outdoor clothing is a very competitive and distilled industry. Looking at their patterns, the arms and armholes, butts, and crotches of these garments, designed usually with climbers and skiers in mind, one sees a trim fit with a high range of motion cut. The armholes are small allowing one to reach up far and back (as in reaching for tank valves) without maxing out the seam under the armpit, the crotches are gusseted allowing legs to spread easily apart (as in frog kicks). The butts are more sculpted allowing for more room without floppiness and excess girth at the waist, some even have "articulated knees" and curved elbows. The fit is as trim as can be without affecting maximum mobility.

It would seem to me the best suit is a suit that fits you closely, and is well designed to allow you to do the movements you may need to do, such as reaching your fins, your tank valves, etc. A baggy suit which may allow you to do this out of the water may likely be impossible to deal with underwater because it will be squeezed to your body and will not allow proper range of motion.

I'm sure all of the above is not news to many, but it was to me when I started diving with a drysuit (an oversized one).

...time to open that can of beer..

Although your thoughts are well organized and reasoned, I'd like to present my experiences:

• A suit that fits very closely has limited range of motion.
  • A suit that is just too plain big will indeed be floppy and sloppy and generally a PITA.
  • The perfect suit is somewhere in between.

Your analogy with the baggie in an aquarium sounds spot on - for a can of soda and a baggie. I've found that the torso bubble is generally restrained by the backplate, and the small bubble that keeps my feet warm is restrained by the foot and lower leg. Hence adding air makes me warmer.

As a generality, I've found that a bit of excess fabric (up to a point) at the joints means more motion, too. I can comfortably dive a suit that is a size larger, maybe even two sizes larger. Any more than that and it becomes a lot of work.

All the best, James

I’ve read through many posts on drysuits here, though admittedly not ALL of them, without finding the details I write below. If I’ve duplicated something that has been discussed before, I duly apologize for missing it.

My purpose with this post is to present my point of view that baggy, over-sized drysuits are sub-optimal, and likely the cause of a persons’ issues with suit squeeze, leading to discomfort and lack of range of motion, and also trim and buoyancy issues. I am hoping to elicit comments and sharing of experiences on drysuit fit and the efficacy of gas addition to relieve one from suit squeeze, etc. So here it is, the engineers among can pipe in if I seem to botch the physics...

Unlike submarines, drysuits are non-rigid, the fabric flexes and collapses under hydrostatic (water) pressure. Pressure inside the suit is usually below ambient hydrostatic pressure (dictated to a degree by the setting of your dump valve). Also, given the suit is basically a somewhat deflated balloon, the more gas you put in it, the more buoyant it becomes (duh you say, I knew that !). These two things combine to make the relief of suit squeeze an interesting proposition.

Let me walk through a virtual experiment. We will use one full unopened can of Coca-Cola (I prefer it over Pepsi), or a can of beer if you prefer (also unopened), two zip-lock baggies of different size, and an aquarium (with or without fish). One zip lock bag is just big enough to hold the can of Coke inside when zipped shut, and the other zip-lock is much much bigger. Now, put the can inside the small bag, close the zip almost all the way and suck all the air out of it before sealing it completely. Put it in the aquarium and submerge it with your hand if you need to. The can is your body and the baggie is your drysuit, and this situation is analogous to you just submerging down a few feet with your suit dump valve fully opened. The small wrinkles on the baggie are just like those on your suit, and this represents a suit squeeze. If we actually used the smallest bag possible that would still hold the can inside, the addition of just a minute amount of air will puff the baggie like a balloon, with no wrinkles in the baggies surface, totally relieving the squeeze, and allowing your undergarments to fluff up and insulate you at their maximum capacity. Also, this minute amount of air would not cause you too much buoyancy changes given your other kit (tanks, weights, etc).

Now, lets change zip-lock baggies, and put the can in the x-large zip-lock, suck the air off it, and place in aquarium. Now we have the can sitting at the bottom of this much bigger baggie, which is also putting the squeeze on you like before. Now put the same amount of air into this bag, as you did put into the small bag above. What happens to that air you blew in ? It goes straight to the top of the bag, and does absolutely nothing to relieve the squeeze on the can down below. Your suit is still squeezing you, your insulation is pressed, your range of motion may be limited due to the fact that the suit fabric is plastered against your insulation and body. You will need to add much more gas to relieve the squeeze in this over-sized floppy suit; you may actually not be able to relieve the squeeze in a significant way before you have severe buoyancy and trim issues. You will have a large gas bubble moving about along the fabric wrinkles in your suit, but with marginal suit-squeeze relief.

Reading through some internet diving forums it is interesting to find people stating that they learn to live with suit squeeze, and sacrifice this in favor of warmth. I am here advocating that one can have less suit squeeze and therefore more warmth in a trimmer suit.

As far as I’ve understood, the north Florida cave divers came up with the “cave cut” drysuit because they did not like the large wrinkles of fabric in an over-sized suit flapping away while on scooters, and creating drag. I would venture to say, that they found it easier managing suit squeeze and buoyancy/trim an added benefit of the cave-cut suit.

In some circles though, the cave-cut versus non cave-cut discussion rages on. Cave-cut may be at the extreme of a well fitting suit (or maybe not), but you do want a close-fitting suit as opposed to a baggy suit. Drysuit makers could follow form and function from outdoor clothing makers like Patagonia, North Face, REI, MEC, and others worldwide -- outdoor clothing is a very competitive and distilled industry. Looking at their patterns, the arms and armholes, butts, and crotches of these garments, designed usually with climbers and skiers in mind, one sees a trim fit with a high range of motion cut. The armholes are small allowing one to reach up far and back (as in reaching for tank valves) without maxing out the seam under the armpit, the crotches are gusseted allowing legs to spread easily apart (as in frog kicks). The butts are more sculpted allowing for more room without floppiness and excess girth at the waist, some even have "articulated knees" and curved elbows. The fit is as trim as can be without affecting maximum mobility.

It would seem to me the best suit is a suit that fits you closely, and is well designed to allow you to do the movements you may need to do, such as reaching your fins, your tank valves, etc. A baggy suit which may allow you to do this out of the water may likely be impossible to deal with underwater because it will be squeezed to your body and will not allow proper range of motion.

I'm sure all of the above is not news to many, but it was to me when I started diving with a drysuit (an oversized one).

...time to open that can of beer..

So a suit that is not too big... and not too small... will be just right?

I think I learned that lesson long before I started diving...

Goldilocks-and-the-three-bears.jpg

:d

...it is not just about size, but proper cut. As posted above "excess fabric at the joints" is needed length-wise, not girth-wise. A trim suit, with well cut armholes and long enough sleeves and legs to allow for a bit of fabric bunching at the joints will give you mobility and reach. I am not advocating anything new here. If anything I am supporting well fitted cave-cut suits... Blasphemy ! you say.. :)

It is important to have adequate mobility underwater. The materials of many dry suits have no stretch at all, so if there is ANY squeeze, mobility will be decreased with respect to what you had on the surface. It can be bad enough that you can't reach your valves -- or even your dry suit dump valve, to change the setting on it.

Too big a suit can gas-trap, and make managing the bubble in the suit difficult.

Not to crow, but the Fusion dry suit I dive has found an ingenious middle ground. The bag itself is big and cut very generously. This results in superb mobility, but could be a setup for gas-trapping. The gently elastic outer skin takes care of that problem.

I can dive my own, properly fitted Fusion, or I can dive my husband's suit, which is a size bigger. They dive exactly the same.

Like James pointed out, somewhere in between. You should have mobility but cut like a tailored suit.

I was hoping to elicit comments about the relief of suit-squeeze as it relates to suit fit... My analogy above represents my view, colored by my experiences, see below... I am definitely not an expert at this, so those with more experience feel free to add.

About late summer 2008 I purchased and inexpensive "rental drysuit" and signed-up for a "drysuit course". That suit was made up of regular neoprene (i.e. non-compressed), like that of a 5mm wetsuit, and fit me fairly trim There were two other participants in the course; a skinny fellow with a bright red rubber drysuit which he had bought second-hand off the internet (very over-sized for him), and a woman with a fabric drysuit, also second-hand, with arms visibly too big for her. We did a pool dive where we practiced getting in and out of a feet-first ascent, and generally learning how to get air in and out of the suits. One thing I noticed with my suit was how stiff it got when there was no air in it, and how easy it was to relieve this with just a little of air. I attibuted this to the trim fit and the stiffness of the neoprene as compared to fabric, i.e. there were no wrinkles in the suit. When "compressed" it was like wearing a wetsuit (but with a big suit-squeeze) and when air was intoduced the pressure was relieved quickly and evenly because of the trim fit, the relative stiffness of the neoprene (as compared to fabric) and lack of folds/wrinkles in the suit.

Observing my classmates in the water... The fellow in the red rubber suit, being so skinny, had major folds everywhere in his suit, and later reported he could not relieve the painful squeeze (painful because of the stiff rubber fabric), he said that adding enough air to relieve the pain caused him to be over-buoyant. The woman seemed to fair well, though I could see the air bubble moving back and forth in her upper arms and shoulders. Having a flexible fabric suit was much better than the rubber suit. As it was, my suits exhaust valve was on my left bicep's front (instead of the outside), and I had to get creative with arm positioning to get it to vent. I did not dive it more than a handful of times before investing in a fabric suit in the Fall of 2009.

I've now had a new fabric drysuit since about mid-May this year and have put about 15 dives since. I am reasonably happy with the fit, though the amrs seem somewhat short.

A month ago I met a diver at the lake near where I live as I was getting ready to dive; she had just completed a dive with her friend. She complimented me on my new suit, and we started talking about fit and squeeze. She went on to show me the marks on her lower legs made during her dive by suit squeeze. I was a bit startled, I could not understand how such sharp marks on her skin would happen, especially when wearing insulating underwear, though I did not ask, and actually do not know what she had been wearing under the suit. She told me she had learned to deal with the squeeze and hardly added any air in, because she could not add enough air to relieve it without having it all pool at the feet or arms and fouling her buoyancy and trim. To be fair, I did not see her wearing the her suit, so I have no idea what it was or how it fit.

So it would seem, from my experiences, that there are two extremes in suit-squeeze relief, which to me seem related to suit fit. At one end is the neoprene suit I had, and at the other the red rubber suit of my fellow classmate. While I agree with the posts above that some extra roominess is needed to allow for flexibility of motion, it would seem that too much baginess leads to difficulty relieving suit squeeze. A properly sized suit, on the trim side of things, would seem to be the best alternative...

If you can't add enough gas to your suit to relieve squeeze without being excessively buoyant, you are underweighted. There is no reason to dive with painful suit squeeze.

But if you dive seriously out of trim, you may be unable to get enough air into the suit (or keep it there) without closing your valve -- and even then, because your legs are below you, THEY will be squeezed. Dry suits are best dived in a horizontal position.

In ANY suit, the gas you put in the suit will migrate to your back. If the suit is so snug that the amount of gas that makes you neutral completely inflates the suit, you would have to keep the dump valve completely closed to retain that much air. That would be a very uncomfortable way to dive, I think. The 4th Element Halo undergarment was designed to help cope with the obligatory compression of the undergarment portions that are on the underside of your body, using a less compressible foam insulation on the chest, abdomen, and thighs.

A poorly fitted suit will allow gas trapping and make the bubble hard to manage. But if you are correctly weighted, the total amount of gas put in the suit to relieve squeeze won't be that much, and it's doable. Better fitted suits are easier.

Good points. I completely agree with diving horizontal to try to equally distribute the air pressure inside the suit (among other reasons), and the observation about low feet/legs.

I would though, press on a bit on the concept of having to add too much air to relieve squeeze and the being underweighted -- I would absolutely agree, if the suit was not too baggy.

Two things are at work with the air inside the suit, hydrostatic pressure differential between two points at different depths, and density differences between water and air (buoyancy & gravity) -- both of these causing the air in a drysuit to rise to the highest point in the suit.

Say the legs are extra roomy, so that there is enough extra fabric to allow for "decent-sized" wrinkles, see attached cartoon of a cross section of a leg. When some air is introduced it will rise and pool at the top of the wrinkle. If the fabric below the wrinkle pinches below the air space, the air is doing nothing to relieve the squeeze on the leg below. The extra air in the suit now has increased the buoyancy of the diver, without relieving the squeeze.

The cartoon is perhaps simplistic, as there may be several smaller wrinkles instead of one big one, but the idea is the same for each wrinkle -- if the fabric pinches below the air bubble, the squeeze has not been relieved. In the case of my classmate with the red rubber suit above, the suit was so oversized for him that he had several very large wrinkles, and I wonder how much aditional weight he would have needed to enable him to relieve the squeeze without being over-buoyant.

Practically squeeze-relief is more complicated, I realize, and after some reflection I accept I've been stuck only looking at the small wrinkle scale, instead of looking at both the whole-suit scale and the wrinkle scale. At the suit scale, under proper trim, air will pool at the back and shoulders as you mentioned, and the air bubble is not pinched out by fabric since the suit is stretchd across the back, thus there is a general relief of squeeze on the torso (neglecting the small hydrostatic difference between the back and the front of the chest). If one has a reasonable horizontal trim, the legs and feet will too experience a squeeze relief, provided they are not too baggy with large wrinkles.

Given that a drysuit is a sizeable cash investment, with kids in collegue, saving for retirement funds, etc. I've tried to research drysuits the best I could to avoid making a costly mistake. Many companies make good products, though there seems to be some variance, especially in off-the-shelf fit. Some barnds do not offer custom fitted suits. Given my experiences outlined above, and my coke-can visualization, I figured that a well tailored and non-baggy suit would offer the best in-water experience.

I had not mentioned any particular suit brands, but seeing that Whites has been advocated above, I will put a plug for my new suit, which is a custom fitted DUI FLX-E. Over the years I've seen many photos of divers wearing custom fitted (Signature) DUI suits, and have to say they look very well tailored. During a trip to the States I dove with two divers with well fitted custom suits. DUI was also highly recommended to me for overall quality and excellent customer service. ...my two cents worth...

Scan001 (2).jpg

While I enjoyed the "representation," my dry suit doesn't doesn't look anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom