Drysuit Pee Valve Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelp68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, so I finally bought a drysuit (Bare Trilam HD Tech).

I decided to buy a pee valve and I installed it myself.

I received free samples of the external condom catheter to use.

I gave it all a try recently. I really hoped I'd installed things properly on the drysuit and wouldn't get a leak and that I'd donned the equipment on myself properly, as well, and wouldn't get a leak....

I thought I'd read somewhere that before entering the water, it's a good idea to pee through the system. So, standing on the shore in a semi-secluded area just before the start of the dive, I peed. Hey, it worked. The pee came out just like it was supposed to. I was so happy.

Then I realized, hmmm, there's really no "shake" or "tap" to do when finished. Oh well. I turned to walk away.

Of course, the thought did not even occur to me that there's still pee in the line and that something might happen as I walked on shore before starting the dive.

Well, every time I took a step, pee dribbled out and ran down the outside of my leg. Ick! Embarassment as people laughed at me. :lol:

So, other than closing the bolt on the outside (as a way to avoid this predicament), is there anything to do that I just don't know about? Am I missing something, or that's just what happens. Just wondering. Thanks.

"Prime the system" while standing waist deep in the water just before the dive... or while floating on the surface if it is a boat dive. Do this away from others as much as possible.

Or if you really want to be a jerk...do it as close to others as possible. :D

Thank you, michaelp68, for the chuckle! I needed that...

Uncle Pug:
"Prime the system" while standing waist deep in the water just before the dive... or while floating on the surface if it is a boat dive. Do this away from others as much as possible.
I am considering adding one myself and admit I know very little about them. Could you or someone explain "prime" please? Thanks, and no this isn't a joke post.:wink:

scubadobadoo:
I am considering adding one myself and admit I know very little about them. Could you or someone explain "prime" please? Thanks, and no this isn't a joke post.:wink:

I believe they mean you should do your "test pee" in waist deep water instead of on the shore like the original post.
Ber :lilbunny:

( I think its got something to do with asking for an X small catheter LOL )[/QUOTE]

No no, You buy the size that fits, plus an extra small plus the largest you can find.

You put the correct size in the extra large wrapper and put your initials in indelible ink on the outside. You then carelessly leave the wrapper lying around.

You put your buddy's initials on the extra small wrapper and leave that lying around too. :D

Minutes of harmless amusement on the boat.

Oh, I've never found the need to prime the system and if it is going to fail I'd rather that was later rather than sooner so I have the shortest possibly time with a damp smelly leg.

How comfortable is your pee valve?

Me and a few of my buddies were talking about them the other day and it seems like having your junk sticking in a condom the entire dive with the pressure of going deep could get pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.

plot:
How comfortable is your pee valve?

Me and a few of my buddies were talking about them the other day and it seems like having your junk sticking in a condom the entire dive with the pressure of going deep could get pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.

So far, my experience with it is pretty good. During my dives, I do not even notice that I'm wearing the condom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom