Drysuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will soon be ordering a dryduit, I have never used a dry suit and know very little about some of the deals. However after much debate and polling I decided on a DUI TLS350. That suit is available with a ton of options and some of which I dont know if I need or want.

Things like crotch padding, butt padding, elbow padding makes me think well that would be a nice thing to have for durability sake but will it limit mobility and range of motion. I dont care if they are expensive if they are worth having. all opinions on these are welcomed.

Glove attachment options really have me confused. I have seen fellow divers with TLS350's and everyone has a different type of system it seems. I have seen O-rings where the gloves are just pulled over the plastic ring with the O-rings to make a seal. There is the screw on ring type glove system and wet glove systems (which dont interest me) among a couple other variations. Some guys have neoprene cuffs they pull over the glove-to-suit connection. Can I get some opinions on the different cuff systems for glove attachment.

Pockets, pockets, pockets. Right now on my wetsuit I have 2 dive rite bellows pockets sewn on but I really dont care much for velcro. Are the zipper pockets easiers to use and just as functional as the velcro ones. I figured I am gonna get 2 pockets probably both of the same style (despite DIR recomendations) just cause I have a variety of diving habbits that all require slightly different things to be carried so I deffinitly have use for the large pair of pockets. I really just want to know wether zippers are good or bad or just better than the alternative.

Zipseals are they good or bad or just a plain waist of money. I know how to change my own seals on normal drysuits from working with others on it and it isn't hard so I fugured zipseals are a waste but I wanted to hear from someone who has practical use of them.

Si-tec valves, I have read in the past that I need to request these so I am gonna. Does that mean that both the dump and inflator are replaced with si-tec ones.

I know thats alot of questions but I thank your for your help.

T

Pads...

I think pads on the knees are a good idea, you may get on your knees to help get the excess air out of the suit before every dive, and you may climb out of the water on to a boat by getting on your knees, so knee pads are a good idea. the other pads are useful, but only in limited situations. I only have knee pads on my suit.

Gloves...

I use dry gloves in cold water and I am lots more comfortable for it. I use the Diving Concepts ring system. I like it and have a pair on a spare set of ZipSeals to be able to easily change back and forth depending on the conditions. In cold water I use the dry gloves, when cave diving I still wear the dry suit, but I use no gloves at all.

Pockets...

I have the zipper pockets on my suit and I like them fine. The velcro pockets work OK, I just like the zippers more. Even with wet or dry gloves the zippers are not that big a deal. Yes, get the big ones, and don't bother with the goofy built in knife sheath.

ZipSeals...

Yes ZipSeals are expensive, you pay for a feature that might save a day of diving, but only if you pay more money and carry spare wrist and neck seals with you. If you don't carry the spares don't bother with the Zips. Of course I get extra flexibility by having the dry glove rings and standard wrist seals.

Valves...

I have the standard DUI valves and they work fine for me, if you want different ones then knock yourself out.

Mark Vlahos

You know you are going to get a lot of replies wanting to know what kind of diving you are going to be doing...

Since you have buddies with DUIs you know what you are getting into. I am sure there are lots of good suits out there, but I have been very happy with my DUI (450) and with dealing with DUI.

I am not an expert, but a couple of thoughts I have...
Zip Seals - while you can glue on seals, the Zips give you the flexiblity to use gloves or wrist seals. Also, if you tear a seal, you can save a dive pretty quick where you are done for a couple of days if you have to glue.

Pockets - the velcro is easier to operate with cold hands or in gloves. Zippers are usually considered to be more failure prone. Also, in extreme condition diving they might freeze or get packed with sand/mud.

Of course everything has a trade off. Zips are more expensive and take a bit more care. Velcro will wear out and have to be replaced.

If you decide to get Turbosoles, see if you can try them on before buying--they seem to run large.

Thanks for those tips. I am going with the rock boots system as I have seen both but most people I know prefer the rock boots.

I dive in minnesota all year round right now and do such a wide variety of diving that my new suit needs to conform to almost every need from deep diving, to scootering, to no-viz public safety diving.

This is gonna be a hard decision for me on the seals and gloves so I am hoping to do some hands on comparison soon. Thanks

I will soon be ordering a dryduit, I have never used a dry suit and know very little about some of the deals. However after much debate and polling I decided on a DUI TLS350. That suit is available with a ton of options and some of which I dont know if I need or want.

Things like crotch padding, butt padding, elbow padding makes me think well that would be a nice thing to have for durability sake but will it limit mobility and range of motion. I dont care if they are expensive if they are worth having. all opinions on these are welcomed.

Glove attachment options really have me confused. I have seen fellow divers with TLS350's and everyone has a different type of system it seems. I have seen O-rings where the gloves are just pulled over the plastic ring with the O-rings to make a seal. There is the screw on ring type glove system and wet glove systems (which dont interest me) among a couple other variations. Some guys have neoprene cuffs they pull over the glove-to-suit connection. Can I get some opinions on the different cuff systems for glove attachment.

Pockets, pockets, pockets. Right now on my wetsuit I have 2 dive rite bellows pockets sewn on but I really dont care much for velcro. Are the zipper pockets easiers to use and just as functional as the velcro ones. I figured I am gonna get 2 pockets probably both of the same style (despite DIR recomendations) just cause I have a variety of diving habbits that all require slightly different things to be carried so I deffinitly have use for the large pair of pockets. I really just want to know wether zippers are good or bad or just better than the alternative.

Zipseals are they good or bad or just a plain waist of money. I know how to change my own seals on normal drysuits from working with others on it and it isn't hard so I fugured zipseals are a waste but I wanted to hear from someone who has practical use of them.

Si-tec valves, I have read in the past that I need to request these so I am gonna. Does that mean that both the dump and inflator are replaced with si-tec ones.

I know thats alot of questions but I thank your for your help.

T

I posed the exact question to Susan Long (president of DUI) at the DUI Dog Days event held at Brownstone Park in Portland, CT this weekend.

She indicated that at one time the Si Tech valves were a better choice than the Apeks valves. She indicated that the Apeks valves have made significant progress to the point where DUI feels the version they for their dry suits are superior to the Si Tech valves.

Back
Top Bottom