Drysuit opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking into buying my first drysuit in the near future (finances permitting) and am looking at a few options. I trained with a DUI but the cost is too high for me. The brands I am looking at are the USIA Aqua sport, the HOG predator, and the Aqualung Fusion One. No matter what suit I get, I Will have a wrist and neck seal system added so I can replace them. I think the neck seal knocks the Fusion one out but not sure.

I dive mostly for fun and to work on the dive area in a local lake in KY. I do the occasional search for lost items for boaters, or help with body search for local Fire departments. I try to limit the risk of damage to a suit even when doing searches for the FD (bottom contact is a guarantee in most cases).

Of these three suits what are your opinions? The price between them is about 400-500 dollars with the options that I want.

I'd go HOG Predator of those which is a USIA Techniflex.
I'd also recommend looking at O'Three which are quite reasonable now considering the terrible exchange rate with the UK

Can you get some help from one of the local FD's you do searches for? I'd be looking for something very durable with your described situation. The shop I used to work for carried the equivalent suit to the Fusion (same suit different brand) , I wasn't real impressed with how they would hold up in cave/wreck/S&R diving. I have the DUI 450, cost too much I agree, but it's still working for me after 13 years. (Had updates done this year zip seals and turbo boots and a leak around the pee valve for the first time). I think DGX is carrying the OMS re-branded version of a DUI suit that looked pretty durable. I have a couple of European friends that swear by their 4th Element suits, one of whom puts in 75+ days a year in the caves. You can feel bad the one time you write the check, or you can feel bad every time you have to use it. :( Not sure how the QC on Santi suits is, but I have their undergarments and would take a hard look at them as well if I had a stocking store nearby.

I'd go HOG Predator of those which is a USIA Techniflex.
I'd also recommend looking at O'Three which are quite reasonable now considering the terrible exchange rate with the UK
+1 on the Hog Predator. (DRIS sometimes puts the USIA suit on a killer sale). I'm very happy with mine (absolutely go for the SiTech neck and wrist seals). Unless you're a perfect match to the "stock" sizes, pay the small upcharge for a full custom suit. USIA does not charge for the alteration unless it differs from their 'normal' size

Hi. This is Kathy with DUI/OMS. Here is the link to the OMS San Diego which is manufactured by DUI. OMS Drysuits Made by DUI in the USA MSRP is $1799 and this includes ZipSeals. The Coronado MSRP is $1299.

These are stock suits. If you fit the standard size these could be a great option for you. Boot size change is available...

Thank you.

consider calling up DRIS and asking if they can get you a deal on a usia techniflex

maybe take a look at one of the lower end ursuits too. i think those run like 1600 to 1800.

I am looking into buying my first drysuit in the near future (finances permitting) and am looking at a few options. I trained with a DUI but the cost is too high for me. The brands I am looking at are the USIA Aqua sport, the HOG predator, and the Aqualung Fusion One. No matter what suit I get, I Will have a wrist and neck seal system added so I can replace them. I think the neck seal knocks the Fusion one out but not sure.

I dive mostly for fun and to work on the dive area in a local lake in KY. I do the occasional search for lost items for boaters, or help with body search for local Fire departments. I try to limit the risk of damage to a suit even when doing searches for the FD (bottom contact is a guarantee in most cases).

Of these three suits what are your opinions? The price between them is about 400-500 dollars with the options that I want.

I got a used Fusion Bullet for $600 added my own replaceable wrist seals for $100 and have almost a 100 dives in it. You do NOT have to buy a suit new and you will actually get your best deals buying someone else's suit that they bought new and decided a year later that diving just wasn't for them.

USIA Techniflex. The Aquaport is the bottom of their line, I believe. It's better to save up a bit more to get a better suit.

I got a used Fusion Bullet for $600 added my own replaceable wrist seals for $100 and have almost a 100 dives in it. You do NOT have to buy a suit new and you will actually get your best deals buying someone else's suit that they bought new and decided a year later that diving just wasn't for them.

The buy used advice only works if you fit in stock sizes.

The buy used advice only works if you fit in stock sizes.

Well that is not 100% accurate as people that are not stock sized buy suits and sell them just like stock sized folk do. Used is an OPTION for a larger percentage of the population than not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom