Drysuit Neck Seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northcave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just got a new drysuit and the neck is neoprene. It is smooth on the inside and normal neoprene material on the outside. I was told by the manufacturer I need to fold it over inside to be effective but that means the rough neoprene surface is on the inside. I have tried both methods now and both leave me soaking.

Also the whole neck is lot very long so folding it inside I can only get about a 1 inch fold.

Am I missing something?

I have found that if the diver is overweighted with a neoprene neck seal, overinflating to compensate for neutral buoyancy will burb air out the neck and let water in even if the fit is right. Please note I'm not saying you're overweighted, but its a data point for you. also - I'd want more than 1" folded back in....

Is the suit NEW or used and just new to you? The smooth uncoated neoprene side should be against the skin. If it seal is leaking both ways perhaps it is the wrong size. Are you certain the leak is through the seal?

Suit is a brand new Hammond. Both mine and my partners. Both are getting us wet. I agree I thought the smooth side should be against the skin.

I am unsure where the leak is but I'm assuming it is through the neck as the wrists are a tight latex fit and I have only two valves. A chest inflator and a simply wrist dump. Both are tight.

This was during a pool session where you are bolt upright most of the time and doing exercises but when I say wet, I mean soaking.

Your description of the seal seems unusual. Neoprene neck seals that I am familiar with have a smooth coating outside. That works as the manufacturer recommended by folding it towards the inside. This fold should have you with a smooth coated seal touching your skin. One inch of fold is plenty to seal, and is what I have found to be most effective.

In looking at the manufacturer's website it looks like the seal that you describe is not meant for diving, but for surface use. Are you sure you have a diving drysuit?

Hammond Drysuits - Neck - neoprene

I always tuck my neck seal. I know there are differing opinions on that if we're talking about latex or silicone seals, but AFAIK there's almost unanimous consensus if we're discussing neoprene.

If the inside of your seal is the smooth side, I'm willing to bet you a beer that it's been glued on the wrong way.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I've seen a neoprene wrist seal that was not meant to be folded under. What do you mean by normal neoprene on the outside, nylon fabric coated?

From your description, it does sound like your suits have the surface neck seal installed.

What does the vendor say, or Hammond?

Your description of the seal seems unusual. Neoprene neck seals that I am familiar with have a smooth coating outside. That works as the manufacturer recommended by folding it towards the inside. This fold should have you with a smooth coated seal touching your skin. One inch of fold is plenty to seal, and is what I have found to be most effective.

In looking at the manufacturer's website it looks like the seal that you describe is not meant for diving, but for surface use. Are you sure you have a diving drysuit?

Hammond Drysuits - Neck - neoprene

10 points to you. It seems they have fitted a surface seal by accident. It is certainly for diving as that is what we asked for an it has an inflation and dump valve. Paid for their made to measure service. Anyway will send it back and have the seal changed.

Thanks for the help.

wrist seal generally lay flat and have the smooth surface inside. necks seal are the opposite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom