Drysuit material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK lets have it!! I am considering buying a drysuit. Trilam or neoprene, which is the most preferred construction and why do you think so? I am not trying to start any fights and would really like your input. Thanks in advance, Tony

Are you diving really cold water or just cool water. I like the Trilam best because I like to use it in 60 degree water as well. So with the Trilam I don't can layer up or not depending on the water temp.

Our river temps get down to 33 degrees F.

Trilam or Bilam
Advantages: lightweight, dries quickly
Disadvantages: more prone to punctures than neoprene

Crushed neoprene
Advantages: very durable, drysuit material offers some intrinsic insulation
Disadvantages: heavy, dries slowly

Recreational divers who dive around lots of sharp objects/rocks and value the robustness of the crushed neoprene tend to migrate towards crushed neoprene.
Lots of recreational divers go with the trilam since the material is so lightweight which makes it easy to pack.

You really should demo several suits before buying anything. If you can swing it, you should try to test-dive a DUI trilam (TLS), a DUI crushed neoprene drysuit, one or more Bare drysuits, and the Whites Fusion. Check the manufacturer websites or talk to a local dive shop that carries drysuits to find out when "drysuit demo days" are scheduled. FYI, every suit has its pluses and minuses. If you go with the Whites Fusion suit get the replaceable neck/wrist seal system. If you go with a DUI suit, get the Zipseals. Also, consider key options such as pockets, rockboot vs. attached boot vs. DUI turbo soles, and a p-valve. Whatever you get, make sure that it fits properly. If the suit doesn't fit properly, it can be annoying to operate...and possibly unsafe. Good luck.

Also, not all tri-lams are created equal and the actual composition and robustness of the material varies between manufacturers. Of the top brands DUI's seem to be the most fragile and leak prone. Otter's is thicker and more puncture resistant, can't comment on other makes.

Regards,

Udi

I started out with an OS Systems tri lam and did wrecks in the St Lawrence, Erie, and our local lakes and quarries also have lots of opportunities for putting holes in things. Never had a leak from that. I did have to get the seals replaced due to a bad glue batch but they took care of it no questions. The lam suits really need to be looked at carefully because they are not all the same in any way. When I sold my OS suit due to outgrowing it (I say it shrunk) I went with a HOG Predator. I never looked at DUI because of the price. White's Fusion was in consideration until they got bought out by Aqualung and that sunk that. BARE and Pinnacle also make good suits and I looked at them as well. I settled on the one I have because it was desgined with cave and tech diving in mind and constructed for that. I'm happy I did. The shell so far seems to be even more resistant to snags and tears than my OS suit.

I have dived with people using neo or crushed neo suits and while I am impressed with their ruggedness, I looked at the time it took for them to dry, the weight when traveling, and again cost. I also had to look at the increased amount of lead I was likely to need with one. I understand they may be warmer with less undergarments? But I like having the ability to use mine in cooler to cold water and layer to accomplish that. And with the new stuff coming out from 4th element and I fully expect to see others at DEMA, the prices on those are likely to come down a little and just give us more choices.

Bottom line though is get one that fits properly and fits your budget. You don't need to spend two or three grand to get a really nice suit.

Back
Top Bottom