Drysuit maneuvers n vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting a suit with socks and then using separate boots can help with not letting air into the feet.
Using gaiters can help keeping air out of the calves too. With fixed boots you can also use extra socks to reduce the free air space. But they are both a sign that you are not doing things quite right. However, you are not required to dive that way random people on the internet tell you to dive and sometimes they are useful to learning tools.

Here's my experience with vertigo, because, apparently, we BOTH have BPV. The vertigo you experience is caused when a crystalline structure is tumbling down and hitting every sensory, hair-like follicle in your ear that messes with your equilibrium. Symptoms: vertigo, you'll feel nauseated, you may vomit through your reg, and/or you will get disoriented for a few minutes. I've been there and I deal with it every time I'm in the water. I dive dry, too.

Quickest and easiest solution is medication. I know you said no Dramamine. However, Dramamine, I've found, doesn't even come close to resolving MY issue. I'm more sensitive to the slightest inversion. I use meclizine or the transderm scop (for long dive trips). Cotton mouth is the worse side effect. It works and it works perfectly every time. I'm not your doctor, so talk to yours before listening to my advice about meds.

Next. What kind of drysuit are you using? As someone else asked, are you getting a Drysuit Cert or just trying it out? The suit I use is an Apollo 4.0 drysuit with ankle exhaust valves. It's near impossible to trap air in my legs and feet. During my drysuit checkout, my instructor and I couldn't trap air in my feet. It was near impossible to flip me upside down. I believe Mobby and Mares (made by Mobby) were using the same valve system. I can't find the source, but the Mares looked similar to the Apollo 4.0. Otherwise, you'll need better fitting boots and/or gaiters. Talk to your instructor regarding proper dive trim, it will help more than ankle weights, valves, and gaiters.

Back
Top Bottom