Drysuit inflator hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I hope this is the right board for this question. I'm currently taking a drysuit class, and did the first pool dive with a rental regulator. I now own my own second had reg (which has been serviced properly since buying). It came with a hose, which is slightly longer than my BCD inflator(whatever came standard with the hollis st elite system), maybe 3-4 inches? Is that long enough to use for the drysuit? I should have paid more attention when I was in the pool, but frankly I had so much more going on than worrying about that.

I doubt it. Mine came with my suit and is 33.5". You might run that hose loosely around from the back of your neck to the inflator position to confirm.

I doubt it. Mine came with my suit and is 33.5". You might run that hose loosely around from the back of your neck to the inflator position to confirm.
Thanks this is my presumption. When I used the rental reg with included inflator, their hose even seemed uncomfortably snug.

If you route the hose and put it in an optimal port on your regulator, a shorter hose may work. But you need to try it on and see what fits you. I will note that most New drysuits will come with an inflator hose, probably 32" in or so in a few that I looked up.

Ok, I hope this is the right board for this question. I'm currently taking a drysuit class, and did the first pool dive with a rental regulator. I now own my own second had reg (which has been serviced properly since buying). It came with a hose, which is slightly longer than my BCD inflator(whatever came standard with the hollis st elite system), maybe 3-4 inches? Is that long enough to use for the drysuit? I should have paid more attention when I was in the pool, but frankly I had so much more going on than worrying about that.
Do you own your drysuit, BC and regs? Screw your longest hose (probably your primary regulator hose) into the port of your 1st stage that you'd plug in your drysuit inflator hose. run the hose under the left arm strap of your BC/BPW, put on your BC such that that hose is running under your left arm and under the strap, and bring it near to the drysuit inflation valve. Have someone help you adjust it so that it isn't too snug even when your BC is fully inflated, and mark where the hose comfortably lines up the center of the inflation valve, maybe wrap it with a piece of tape. Take it all off and measure from the 1st stage to the tape, and that's how long of a drysuit inflation hose you want. If it matches your current inflation hose, great, and if not then you should probably pick up an inflation hose of a more appropriate length. A little longer is just fine, since its nicely tucked away under your arm, but too short is too short.

Do you own your drysuit, BC and regs? Screw your longest hose (probably your primary regulator hose) into the port of your 1st stage that you'd plug in your drysuit inflator hose. run the hose under the left arm strap of your BC/BPW, put on your BC such that that hose is running under your left arm and under the strap, and bring it near to the drysuit inflation valve. Have someone help you adjust it so that it isn't too snug even when your BC is fully inflated, and mark where the hose comfortably lines up the center of the inflation valve, maybe wrap it with a piece of tape. Take it all off and measure from the 1st stage to the tape, and that's how long of a drysuit inflation hose you want. If it matches your current inflation hose, great, and if not then you should probably pick up an inflation hose of a more appropriate length. A little longer is just fine, since its nicely tucked away under your arm, but too short is too short.
No, I'm just taking the course, or I'd just do like you said and try it on for measurement.

No, I'm just taking the course, or I'd just do like you said and try it on for measurement.
30-34 inches or so is a pretty safe bet, better too long than too short. A typical inflator for a BPW is like 18", and 24" inches for a BC. Any hose just "slightly longer" than either is going probably to be too short for use as a drysuit inflator hose.

I just picked up my new Santi drysuit, and the inflator hose that it came with was only 26" (and that's being generous - including the connector). Haven't used it yet, but that will probably be snug using back mounted twins, and likely too short for a single.

Edit: As a comparison, the hose that came with my DUI (quite a few years ago) is 35" long, which is arguably a bit too long, even with a single.

So just run it over your left shoulder until you and the course people can sort it out with a used one they have

So just run it over your left shoulder until you and the course people can sort it out with a used one they have

I've been diving a drysuit for 20 years and I have more than enough hoses of varying lengths in my dive locker to find the right one. I was merely offering the comparison of the different lengths of hoses that have been supplied from the factory with drysuits I've bought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom