Drysuit in the Tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardhat:
Bi-lams are cheap suits that are not built to last very long. They delaminate pretty fast and start to leak as soon as that happens. For the amount of time you are in the water I most certainly wouldn't even think of a bi-lam.

WRONG!!!!

http://www.ossystems.com/adventure/dmindex.html

The test diver got almost 5000 dives out of his and he is now testing the tropic suit for commercial use in Northwest waters! He has over 2000 dives on it so far.

What destroys coated nylon suits is improper sizing, extreme exposure to sun, poor care or diving in seriously contaminated waters ... the same stuff that destroys ALL diving equipment.

Now, that said, tropical suits were developed more for traveling divers ... not for tropical locals.

Almost any shell suit will work fine in tropical waters. The key is finding the proper undergarment. Too heavy and you overheat. Too light and you can get a pinch or be too cool.

You determine the amount of undergarment based on how much insulation you need now. If you are using a 2-3 mm whole body neoprene suit, try one of the single layer Polartec stretch undergarments. The next level would be a 16-17 ounce standard fleece jumpsuit (a bit bulkier and will require more weight). The next level would be the double layer Polartec stretch fleece jumpsuit (less bulk than the fleece and maybe a little less weight required). Then comes the big guns ... double layer fleece and thinsulite ... both developed for cold waters and definitely not a candidate for the tropics unless you are diving in a 7 mm full body wetsuit now.

Hello -

I've used my DiveRite 905 in FL (83F, 28C), and in the Bahamas (same temp).

I typically did not use an undergarment, just a t-shirt and shorts. In 72F (22C) I use a polartec jumpsuit.

The 905 is a bilam. I have 200 dives on it and it is going strong. I did wear out the suspender anchors after about 3 years, but some glue fixed that right up.

Good luck,
Peter Doege

Bi Laminate is not a cheap suit, I am currently going through DM Class. One of the DM's in my class bought a Drysuit that came out of the rental fleet, which as we all know those get some rough handling. Anyway the DM purchased the suit has put a considerable amount of dives on it, & the only thing he has ever had to do to the suit was replace the Latex seals. He showed me this weekend that their were no patches in it even. As I was Demoing the same type of suit, & had some concerns( just wanted to make sure I was getting what I paid for). Also he explained to me that w/ a bilaminate if you ever get a hole in it, you can dry the effected area off with a towel(you trilaminate people can appreciate this), & put a peice of Duck Tape over it to get you through the trip.

I dive dry all the time here in South Florida. This includes Summer temperature water of 87 on the surface (though it gets much cooler below). Other than baking on the dive boat, I never get overheating. I wear 200 gram thinsulate even in these temperatures.

I have a DUI TLS350. It is light but effective.

ScubaDadMiami:
I dive dry all the time here in South Florida. This includes Summer temperature water of 87 on the surface (though it gets much cooler below). Other than baking on the dive boat, I never get overheating. I wear 200 gram thinsulate even in these temperatures.

I have a DUI TLS350. It is light but effective.

200 gram thinsulate in 87F water? Jesus! I usually dive in Lake Michgan when it's 45F with jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt.

I just got back from Roatan, and I was one of about 5 people that a saw out of about 100 drivers that wore a shorty (2mm) and I was cooking. Everyone on my boat wore a 3mm-5mm full suit. I guess they weren't cold water drivers??

To the original poster, I guess there won't be any ice diving in your future if you're cold in those waters. :)

Stijn:
I am looking to buy a drysuit. I work in Indonesia where our coldest watertemperature is 26 degrees (I will never understand your fahrenheit :06: )

I do 3 dives a day and they last usually 70 minutes. Has anyone experience with scubapro drysuits or any advice on different kinds of tropical drysuits?
I'd take a look at this one. DUI has excellent quality and customer service, they stand by their products, and this drysuit is made of a 'goretex-like' fabric that allows vapor to pass through it (reducing some of the sweaty interior) but that keeps seawater out.

I think its worth your consideration:
http://www.dui-online.com/dry_30.htm

Best,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
I'd take a look at this one. DUI has excellent quality and customer service, they stand by their products, and this drysuit is made of a 'goretex-like' fabric that allows vapor to pass through it (reducing some of the sweaty interior) but that keeps seawater out.

I think its worth your consideration:
http://www.dui-online.com/dry_30.htm

Best,

Doc

One of my buddies wants to buy one real bad.

Back
Top Bottom