Drysuit hoods for use with full face mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need a detached drysuit hood that has a smooth watertight sealing surface on the inside of the face opening to seal against my face, and also a second smooth watertight sealing surface on the outside of the face opening to seal against the mask skirt.

The generic type of detached neoprene drysuit hood does not work properly with a full face mask placed over it, because the exterior of the hood around the face opening is woven fabric. The full face mask cannot form an airtight seal against the fabric, and so there is constant microbubble leakage around the mask skirt, no matter how tight the mask straps are cinched down.

Though, just raw neoprene foam without any fabric backing is undesirable as it is weak and can be torn easily, and sheet rubber/latex has no internal bubble structure so it offers little to nothing for head/face insulation.

I've been contemplating taking a generic drysuit hood with fabric around the face opening, and trying to slather on a very thin coating of neoprene wetsuit glue, to provide the flat airtight sealing surface for the full face mask.

Both santi and waterproof have versions for ffm

Products - Waterproof
Seals with ffm using glideskin, works really well. Santi has one as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom