Drysuit Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhuntley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
New OTS owner here who dives in cold water, what route do hooded divers go when it comes to full face masks?

I performed an OOA drill the other night in the ocean, and when attempting to put the mask back on I realized how much of a pain in the ass it is to get it to seal.

I noticed that there are several hoods on the market, one being this (which my shop is a dealer of, so it'd be easy to get.) Anyone tried it, will it do the job?

Thanks!

I haven't tried that particular hood but currently use this one made by Pinnacle which works well because while the mask will seal over my beard it tends to pull the hair on my chin a bit. The key with sealing the mask to the hood is to not over tighten it.

New OTS owner here who dives in cold water, what route do hooded divers go when it comes to full face masks?

I performed an OOA drill the other night in the ocean, and when attempting to put the mask back on I realized how much of a pain in the ass it is to get it to seal.

I noticed that there are several hoods on the market, one being this (which my shop is a dealer of, so it'd be easy to get.) Anyone tried it, will it do the job?

Thanks!

Good Morning Rhuntely,

If you are exclusively diving a FFM, or don't mind taking a pair of scissors to your hood, we recommend trimming the hood around the seal of the skirt. The best way to get a seal is to have the seal directly on the skin of your face.

FFM's have a hard time sealing over thick neoprene, but does well over a thin latex hood.

Personally, I've only heard good things about FFM hoods like the ones you and DRIS2 posted. If trimming a hood isn't for you, I'd look into getting one of those to get the job done.

I would have recommended either one of those hoods that are on this thread, so I think you're on the right track. DRIS2 knows their stuff!

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom