Drysuit gloves question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the vent tube just run under the wrist seal between glove and suit? Could there be any problem with flooding the suit if a glove leaks?

Exactly, small tube runs under the seal. Agree there could be an issue with a leaky glove resulting in water entering the suit through the now intentionally broken wrist seal. I was concerned about that in the beginning. After some thought and dives, I realized that in the event of a glove leak, the small size size of the opening is small so it would be a drip instead of a flood, which is manageable. Also, using the right undergarments (ones that keep you warm when wet like polypro or wool) are key here to mitigate a leaky glove/suit. If the leak was really bad, like the glove was shredded, I guess I could always reach in and pull the tube out, allowing the wrist seal to re-seal. Regardless, a leaky glove/suit in cold water would be enough for me to call the dive, and with the right undergarments I'm confident I would be able to safely abort without suffering hypothermia too badly.

Then again, I don't do deco, so all I gotta do is get out of the water before I freeze. Interesting problem if that is not an option. Not sure what the answer is in that case. Off the top of my head...pull the tube out, reseal the suit, remove the failed dry glove and pull on an extra wet glove you have as a standby specifically just in case this happens? I'd probably carry my old 5 mil wet gloves in my thigh pocket as a back up in that scenario. Over to you deco types to hear what you would do...

Does the vent tube just run under the wrist seal between glove and suit? Could there be any problem with flooding the suit if a glove leaks?
Yup, the vent tube runs under the wrist seal. If a dryglove gets torn, just remove the glove and push the vent tube up the arm of the drysuit. This ensures that the wrist seal does its job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom