DrySuit for Women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barb

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd like to buy a drysuit to extend my diving season.
Which drysuit do you lady's like for fit? Do women need a custom fit usually or can we buy off the rack?
I'd really appreciate your input ladies and gents also (I know your peeking iin the womens only site - ha, ha, caught ya!)
:confused:

barb once bubbled...
... and gents also (I know your peeking iin the womens only site - ha, ha, caught ya!)
:confused:
Yup! Just don't tell the wife!

I got a really good deal on mine off the rack. The problem is finding anything woman-sized to try on in retail store inventory - but that might be different, given your location. Scuba shows are good for that, when the manufacturers bring their wares to display...

and love it - there were at least 3 of us that were able to buy the same kind of dry suit off the rack.

It's 4mm crushed neoprene, so need a bit more termal protection than for those 7mmneoprene dry suits but much less than for the shell ones

i think the first question that you have to answer for yourself is if you want a shell dry suit or neoprene one - that will narrow down the choices

there are advantages and disadvantages for each. Neoprene ones are more likely to leak (neoprene seals Vs Latex seals), neoprene requires more weight and compresses at depth providing less protection (less so with crushed neoprene) - shell dry suit does not take up much space, etc...

Happy shopping

What I have found while looking for a women's drysuit is that the "standard" women's sizes offered by the manufacturers are only right for a few women. They do not work well if you are short vertically, but large in any other dimension (i.e., bust, waist, and/or hips.) In looking at the dimensions for each of their sizes, I would ineveitably fall in one category according to my height, and another for my hips/waist and a third according to my chest dimensions. This was true for EVERY manufacturer that I tried. I believe that a similar dilemma applies if you are a tall woman who is somewhat slim.

However, I tend to have a hard time finding stuff that fits me in general, not just for diving. I ended up getting a Large BARE Drysuit (7mm neoprene) and then having the legs and arms shortened after I bought it. I like the BARE suit a lot, and I actually did find a BARE WETsuit off the rack that fit me pretty well without any alterations. If your sizing requirements fall more into a "typical" range of women's sizes, there are probably several brands that might have something that would work for you. Try BARE, O'Neill, DUI and Harvey's to start. You can usually get the dimensions for each of the manufacturers' sizes for women from their respective websites.

In terms of fit, neoprene wetsuits are more strectchy, and can therefore be a little more accommodating if you are close to the boderline between sizes in any of your dimensions. "Bag" suits, on the other hand, are not cut to fit as closely, and allow (require) more layering underneath. In some ways bag suits are more accomodating in terms of sizebecause they are less "form-cut" than the neoprene ones, but you don't want an excessive amount of extra material in any dimension with a bag suit because it will result in a lot of drag.

The best option (for many women) is a custom drysuit, but they are very expensive. I couldn't afford one, and now that I've had my BARE suit altered (which cost me $75-$100, I think) it works very well for me.

One more thing: the boots that come standard on women's drysuits are often too big, at least among the women divers that are in my dive club, so make sure you check what size boots will come on your drysuit. I wear a women's US size 7 shoe, and had to have BARE put an XS boot on my L drysuit when I ordered it. I don't think they charged extra to do that, but I'm not completely certain.

Hope this helps!

otter-cat

Thanks for the information.
I have found the measurements seem to be for "model" type women - especially in the hip/thigh area. Of course, it could be that the sands of time are settling a little, sigh
I've been hearing a lot of people (women especially) talking about Bare as a good drysuit.
I was thinking about a shell type - I hear latex seals are the way to go also. The problem I now face is finding a store close enough where I can rent/try one before I buy.
I'm excited about getting one; I'm tired of being wet and cold!

suits from British manufacturers. My Zeagle suit was made by Otter, and the dimensions seem to be more in line with (at least my) version of reality. Or maybe the apple just doesn't fall far from the Irish tree...

Stay away from Henderson Women's Drysuits... They seem to not be able to understand how to make a good fitting neck or wrist seal. My wife had to send hers back to the factory 4 times before they came close. And each time it was gone for 2 to 3 months. Otter Drysuits are nice because they can make them to custom measurements. I offered to get her one, but she got tired of messing with it and we traded it in for a 5mm Bare jumpsuit with a 3mm hooded vest. She can't do really cold water anymore, but she never liked it anyway :p

A couple of my female dive buddies use Andy's DS3. They like them and don't seem to have a problem with fit.

I went ahead and bought a used drysuit.
I have to wait a month for it to come from the UK.
I ended up buying a Northern Diver ReefMaster compressed neoprene. I think the price was good and it's a fine entry-level drysuit - I can get my feet wet (actually dry I hope).
After so much reading and searching I still could'nt decide between the crushed neoprene and a shell so when this suit came up I thought the best thing to do is just go for it, try it and learn through experience what I like and dislike.
I think after using this one it will be easier to decide what I truly want/need and then I'll spend the money on a new suit.
I feel good about my decision and am just anxious for the suit to arrive so I can take it to the pool!!!
Barb:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom