Drysuit for the northeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I would like some opinions on the following issues.
I need a drysuit for northeast wreck diving and lobstering (if there is such a word). That is, I'm planing on doing my tec and wreck training next year but would like to start diving a drysuit this year. I have been on local open water dives in a 7mm and other then freezing what I see is that everyone on board is in a DUI curshed neoprene suit. My lds is telling me that the CF200 or the FLX50/50 are the only things that I should be considering because of their durability and warmth. Do people agree with this idea and if not, what would you recomend. All comments welocomed.
Thanks,
Stas

stas:
Hi everyone.
I need a drysuit for northeast wreck diving and lobstering (if there is such a word). That is, I'm planing on doing my tec and wreck training next year but would like to start diving a drysuit this year. I have been on local open water dives in a 7mm and other then freezing what I see is that everyone on board is in a DUI curshed neoprene suit. My lds is telling me that the CF200 or the FLX50/50 are the only things that I should be considering because of their durability and warmth. Do people agree with this idea and if not, what would you recomend. All comments welocomed.
Thanks,
Stas

I find it funny that they recommend these suits based on how warm they are considering niether offer any real warmth. Warmth with these suits will be based pretty much entirely on what you are wearing under them. But as they state the CF suits are probably the toughest on the market. Honestly if you do decide to go with this suit you won't be disappointed, providing that you're willing to pay the $2500 + for one. I do a lot od great lakes/st-lawrence wreck diving, and i dive dry year round in a bare hd trilam. I got the suit in july for $1350 canadian, with all the extras. Since then i've put close to 100 wreck dives on it without any visible wear. The DUI's are excellent suits, but you can get very high quality for less, check out bare, diving concepts, and northern diver, they all make very high quality suits at a very good prices, if a dive shop tells you that the only suit to buy is his most expensive, start questioning!!!

There are lots of drysuit options and a wide range of costs. I dive with buddies with the DUI crushed neoprene suits. They are not warmer than I am in my $500 O'Neill neoprene suit however. (When I bought mine years ago it was $750, now they are available brand new for $500). Their crushed neoprene allows them to wear a bit less weight than I do.

I believe in cost and value. I think the DUI suits are nicer - but they are not 5X nicer and they are not warmer than my neo drysuit.

--Matt

I dive Great Lakes Wrecks and bought my drysuit with that in mind.
I have the DUI Clx 50/50. It's the Cf200 bottom with the Clx450 top. I think that the top gives me greater range of motion for valve drills (it's lighter). It dries quicker than the bottom too. The Cordura material is pretty tough, and the Cf200 bottoms are almost indestructable. After talking with lots of DUI owners I ordered mine with the old style zipper. I also had the dump mounted on my left forearm rather than the shoulder. They didn't have the zip seals when I ordered mine, but I may have them retro-fitted when it needs new seals.

I really like the suit and if I had it to do again I'd order it the same way.

Best of luck with your decisions!!

stas:
what I see is that everyone on board is in a DUI curshed neoprene suit. My lds is telling me that the CF200 or the FLX50/50 are the only things that I should be considering /QUOTE]

Everyone on board what is in a DUI crushed? Not on board this board, that's for certain.

Of course your LDS is telling you to consider only DUI, it's what he sells, correct?

The best suit for you is a suit you can afford that keeps you dry and fits properly.

DUIs are nice suits, for sure, but I am not convinced they are so much nicer than any other quality suit.

The single state that buys the most Viking suits is New Jersey.
DUI dealers are required to keep a high markup on their suits, not so with Vikings.
That being said, the only suit made* by DUI that is tough enough to meet "commercial diving" requirements is the CF.

* The RS series is made by Hunter/Gates, now owned by Trelleborg Viking. :wink:

Tavi:
After talking with lots of DUI owners I ordered mine with the old style zipper.

What's the old style? Ends at the hip rather than at the rib cage, as the new style does?

What's the reason for their preferring the "old style"? (I've had two DUI's with the "old style", if I understand you correctly.)

I thought the new style would reduce the typical wear that the old style suffered where the zipper lies under a weight belt.

Just curious to know before I get my next DUI.

Dave C

stas:
Hi everyone.
Thanks,
Stas

First, I don't do any wreck penetration or significant deco diving, so feel free to ignore my opinion....

Nevertheless, my current suit is a CLx450 and the material is very tough.

I've heard the CF 200 material is tougher and has some give to it, and I've seen one tolerate substantial abuse during lobstering, but I can't picture snagging anything hard enough to tear the CLx450.

The CLx450 is lighter, dries quicker and is less expensive.

I'd like to hear if wreck divers feel it's tough enough.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom