Drysuit for the northeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas:
Hi everyone.
I would like some opinions on the following issues.
I need a drysuit for northeast wreck diving and lobstering (if there is such a word). That is, I'm planing on doing my tec and wreck training next year but would like to start diving a drysuit this year. I have been on local open water dives in a 7mm and other then freezing what I see is that everyone on board is in a DUI curshed neoprene suit. My lds is telling me that the CF200 or the FLX50/50 are the only things that I should be considering because of their durability and warmth. Do people agree with this idea and if not, what would you recomend. All comments welocomed.
Thanks,
Stas

My standard answer - all you need is a good fitting 23 piece 7mm suit. I've dove that in 38* water, I've been to 97 feet for 40 min in 40* water. It's sufficient.

That said, I did just recently become the proud owner of a Whites PolarTech dry suit. Crushed neoprene, good and durable. I see no reason not to recommend that, and I had orignally been looking at the DUIs, but the price difference caught my attention.

Ken

dave4868:
What's the old style? Ends at the hip rather than at the rib cage, as the new style does?

What's the reason for their preferring the "old style"? (I've had two DUI's with the "old style", if I understand you correctly.)

I thought the new style would reduce the typical wear that the old style suffered where the zipper lies under a weight belt.

Just curious to know before I get my next DUI.

Dave C

On the old style, the zippers both go from just behind left shoulder to right hip.
On the new style it ends partway around your back. If I remember correctly, one zipper goes up, the other down. I didn't want the zipper pull under the shoulder strap of my BP.
Before I decided I talked with divers that had tried both. most prefered the old style. I don't know if it's still available.

I'm very curious about the O'neil suit because I'm hard to fit at 6 foot 140, but I dive around Boston, and I'm not sure it will be warm enough. Anyone had any experience with this? As is true of most super-skinny people, I do get cold very fast--When I dove the Poling last year, I only lasted 25 minutes on my second dive because my hands were getting numb and I was shivering.

The price seems right for me to get this suit, the size looks good, now I just need the details about how it performs.

Anyone else notice that this thread was from 2005, until someone responded, apparently noticed, and edited their post to "post removed"?

CompuDude:
Anyone else notice that this thread was from 2005, until someone responded, apparently noticed, and edited their post to "post removed"?

I hate when that happens!

Let's see, who can I blame.... :D

At least I received some useful info. Thanks, Rick! (Tavi)

Dave C

:newbie: Sorry, that was me. I posted about a O'Neil D.S. that I was thinking of buying on ebay. Got embarassed when I realized that size 14 in O'Neil's chart was for womens only gear.

Appologies all around,
Matt

CompuDude:
Anyone else notice that this thread was from 2005, until someone responded...

Dead Thread Walking

divermatt:
:newbie: Sorry, that was me. I posted about a O'Neil D.S. that I was thinking of buying on ebay. Got embarassed when I realized that size 14 in O'Neil's chart was for womens only gear.

Appologies all around,
Matt
LOL no worries, bud, happens all the time.

How are the Diving Concepts Suits? My LDS is offering me a pretty good deal on one- does anyone have any experience w/them?
Thanks in advance.

dbosullivan:
How are the Diving Concepts Suits? My LDS is offering me a pretty good deal on one- does anyone have any experience w/them?
Thanks in advance.

Might be best to start a new thread. This one's been given Last Rights, because it was in a coma since 2005, despite recent attempts to revive it. :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom