Drysuit fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skarn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I just got my first drysuit. It is a Northern Diver Trilam used off ebay. I couldn't resist the price.

Anyway, the boot size is great, but it's a tad tight around the chest. Everything else seems fine. I know I didn't want too big, but is there a downside to being a tad tight other than comfort? It's not bad at all, but I haven't dived it yet either. I could get thermal gear on no problem but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get thick stuff like fleece or sweatshirts on. Prior to getting this deal, I actually ordered a new semi-dry with integrated hood and it's on the way, but if this drysuit is fine, I don't see me using the semidry.

So how tight is too tight? I could squat, move my arms fine etc.

Thanks!
Skarn

Can you touch T3?

Can you breathe?

If it does not constrict movement or air movement and is comfortable it should be OK.

Typically a dry suit should not be tight on your chest.

If it is really tight you can stress seals and the zipper.

Common sense. You will know when you dive with it if it is too constrictive.

Thanks for the replies. I guess my biggest concern is that I won't be able to comfortably fit a heavier undergarment like fleece or a sweatshirt under it. I'll just have to try it out in the pool.

Skarn

A trilam suit is going to be entirely dependent on the undergarments you use with it for insulation -- it has no intrinsic insulating properties at all. If you cannot get something thick enough to stay warm under the suit, it is too small. It IS sometimes possible to alter them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom