Drysuit fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Michaud SELAUSAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had a chance to buy another O'neill 7mm neoprene drysuit for a steal. My older suit is a large. This one is medium. I took a chance as I can sell it and easily get my money back while giving someone a good deal. This is my third drysuit and I have many dives in them. The new suit fit is snug almost like a wetsuit. I am used to a drysuit being more bulky. I know in shallow water it will be ok, but at 100' will I have squeeze issues? Can the gas inside move about to relieve the squeeze? It is not tight, just snug. Anyone have experience with this? Help a brother out. Mark :D

I had a chance to buy another O'neill 7mm neoprene drysuit for a steal. My older suit is a large. This one is medium. I took a chance as I can sell it and easily get my money back while giving someone a good deal. This is my third drysuit and I have many dives in them. The new suit fit is snug almost like a wetsuit. I am used to a drysuit being more bulky. I know in shallow water it will be ok, but at 100' will I have squeeze issues? Can the gas inside move about to relieve the squeeze? It is not tight, just snug. Anyone have experience with this? Help a brother out. Mark :D

Sounds like someone is gonna get a good deal on a "3rd-hand" suit.

Snug is perfect in a neoprene dry suit.

I have a 7mm o'neil that fits much like a wet suit over lightweight undergarments (thin poly-pro fleece). I have dove it to 150' in 35 degree water and neither squeeze nor cold is a particular issue with the snug fit. What you will find is that a neoprene suit can be much snugger as the stretachable material still allows flexibility while the insulating properties of the neoprene itself means that thick lofted undergarments are not required.

In terms of squeeze, a trilam has sharper folds that seem to give a much sharper bite when the suit squeezes. In contrast a 7mm neoprene suit has a much softer squeeze so you can comfortably tolerate diving with much less gas in the suit. You could fully deflate a neoprene suit at the surface, then drop to about 50' before adding any air and not be excessively uncomfortable. I don't know many divers who would honestly say the same thing about a trilam.

The snug fit helps restrict gas flow in the suit so you can swim it in any position just like a wet suit yet even with minimal gas and a snug fit, the gas gets where it needs to be.

In short, after several years diving a neoprene dry suit, I'd argue most people end up with a neoprene dry suit that is too large and bulky as they approach sizing it like they would a trilam and they also tend to size upwards in anticipation of the heavier underwear that they would wear in a trilam that they will in fact ever need in a warmer neoprene suit.

The other observation I have is that 90% of the people who makes comments about neoprene dry suits have never used one and really don't know what they are talking about - they know what they heard from someone else (who usually heard it from someone else) or read in an ad, but they have no direct knowledge. I used to be one of those people and it took having to step out of my trilam and use a neoprene suit to correct the misperceptions created by the trilam only crowd.

The critical issue with a medium versus a large suit is probably going to be the boot size. Boots that are too small will cramp your feet and that makes for a miserable dive.

Thanks DA
I just got a second hand Flex 50/50 and the lower half is crushed neoprene. the leg fit is snug over a 340gr fleece undergarment .. was worried that it would be too snug to work well for warmth (upper shell part is fine)

Thanks DA. I knew someone who had experience, good or bad, with this would pipe up. I prefer neo as my legs are muscular and when I sidemount the suit compensates for that. Plus, if it floods, I am still toasty. I will be diving next week and will find out for sure, for myself. I had considered wearing a cup the first time :rofl3: just in case. If it is not comfortable I will use it when working here in shallow / cold water. Thanks, this really helps. Mark

Snug is perfect in a neoprene dry suit.

I have a 7mm o'neil that fits much like a wet suit over lightweight undergarments (thin poly-pro fleece). I have dove it to 150' in 35 degree water and neither squeeze nor cold is a particular issue with the snug fit. What you will find is that a neoprene suit can be much snugger as the stretachable material still allows flexibility while the insulating properties of the neoprene itself means that thick lofted undergarments are not required.

In terms of squeeze, a trilam has sharper folds that seem to give a much sharper bite when the suit squeezes. In contrast a 7mm neoprene suit has a much softer squeeze so you can comfortably tolerate diving with much less gas in the suit. You could fully deflate a neoprene suit at the surface, then drop to about 50' before adding any air and not be excessively uncomfortable. I don't know many divers who would honestly say the same thing about a trilam.

The snug fit helps restrict gas flow in the suit so you can swim it in any position just like a wet suit yet even with minimal gas and a snug fit, the gas gets where it needs to be.

In short, after several years diving a neoprene dry suit, I'd argue most people end up with a neoprene dry suit that is too large and bulky as they approach sizing it like they would a trilam and they also tend to size upwards in anticipation of the heavier underwear that they would wear in a trilam that they will in fact ever need in a warmer neoprene suit.

The other observation I have is that 90% of the people who makes comments about neoprene dry suits have never used one and really don't know what they are talking about - they know what they heard from someone else (who usually heard it from someone else) or read in an ad, but they have no direct knowledge. I used to be one of those people and it took having to step out of my trilam and use a neoprene suit to correct the misperceptions created by the trilam only crowd.

The critical issue with a medium versus a large suit is probably going to be the boot size. Boots that are too small will cramp your feet and that makes for a miserable dive.

I also have a neoprene drysuit (a seasoft ti) and I love it. Mine does fit ever so slightly looser than snug - basically it fits snug with the fleece undergarment. What I like about the neoprene is that in moderate temperatures (55-70) I don't have to wear an undergarment. I have taken this suit to 240' in 65 degree water with no undergarment. There were no issues with squeeze and the thermal properties were great. I agree with DA in that the air will get where it needs to and on shallow dives it is not uncomfortable without adding any air at all.

Thanks for the thread and the replies. I too purchased a second hand neoprene drysuit and was wondering about fit. I am more comfortable now, but I'll let you when I dive it in 5 days...

Dived it today.* No squeeze, great fit.* 98', scooter, sidemount, 68 degrees, love it.* Installing a p-valve in the morning.* Thanks for the info DA.* Mark

So I have the opposite question/problem I guess. I've enjoyed diving in a 7mm neoprene drysuit, no squeeze, comfy fit, no problems with buoyancy, no undergarments.

I recently "upgraded" to a new trilam with latex seals as I didn't like the neoprene neck seal on my old suit. I just dove the trilam and had a lot of problems with buoyancy/squeeze. It seems like I need a lot more weight and that I couldn't get the right amount of air in the suit. The air bubble just seems to float around meanwhile the rest of my body feels like it's vacuum packed in saran wrap.

Is this how it's supposed to feel? Does it just take a while to get used to? Any tips/thougts appreciated.

Maybe I should just stick with neoprene...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom