Drysuit Fins for pushing alot of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm a few months away from starting my tech classes, but I have my double rig set up, and I dive a dry suit pretty much always anyway because i'm a baby in the cold. After reading great reviews and hearing great things from RL friends I set my mind on Jet Fins, which quickly slapped me in the face and told me they don't fit my size 10 rock boots.

So, I am not going to replace the socks on the end of the drysuit to much $$, and I am keeping the rockboots, what other fins are appropriate for pushing large amounts of gear in a drysuit like this.

So far I have been looking at the turtle fins, but I was hoping to get some more input from poeple, I tried to searches but as you can imagine turtlefin pops up in about 2000 posts most of which are ridiculously long, and the dozen or so I looked through gave me no real answers except people saying one fin or the other fin were the favorites.

So any input on the turtle fins would be great, or other similar styled short fins that would be appropriate. Thanks everyone.

Bit different in style but good short fins are Force Fins. Yes, I know, before everyone starts slagging them off, they are not for everyone, but I have several tech instructor friends who swear by them, and they are using drysuits, twinsets and two side mounts, etc, etc, in the waters around the UK. I also use Force Fins in the UK and abroad and have been doing so for several years and I love 'em!

Also, interesting to note that Mark Andrews used Force Fins when he did his record deep wreck dive to the Yolanda wreck in the Red Sea with Leigh Cunningham (down to a depth of 205m) and he was wearing a drysuit and carrying no less than six steel cylinders.

I'll probably get battered by people having a go at FFs, but in my opinion, many of those who have had a pop at them in the past have never really given them a real go, or maybe even seen a pair firsthand!

It's horses for courses with fins, but might be worth have a look at 'em.

JMHO

Mark

Practically speaking, Turtles are just like the Jets, only for big feet. There are also XXL Jets, which has a pocket the size of Kansas.

If you want to be able to do all the kicks and not kick up silt, you are best going with a set of Turtles or XXL Jets.

ah, I can't read the website i'm afraid to say, I only read english

I'll give you another suggestion that probably no one else on here will. If you have a Beuchat dealer near you, go check out a set of X-Jets. My Instructor brought them in to use with his drysuit, and the pockets were too big for his drysuits boots. I have very wide so they offered them to me at a really good price since I was the only one that could fit them, and I fell in love. The pockets should fit just about any drysuit or rockboot. I swapped out to a set of spring straps. They are very stiff fins (I hate floppy fins, years of mountain bike racing means I usually overpower anything flexible), and I use them with my double 108's and a 40cf slung bottle, and they push me with no problems.

Cheekymonkey:
So I'm a few months away from starting my tech classes, but I have my double rig set up, and I dive a dry suit pretty much always anyway because i'm a baby in the cold. After reading great reviews and hearing great things from RL friends I set my mind on Jet Fins, which quickly slapped me in the face and told me they don't fit my size 10 rock boots.

So, I am not going to replace the socks on the end of the drysuit to much $$, and I am keeping the rockboots, what other fins are appropriate for pushing large amounts of gear in a drysuit like this.

So far I have been looking at the turtle fins, but I was hoping to get some more input from poeple, I tried to searches but as you can imagine turtlefin pops up in about 2000 posts most of which are ridiculously long, and the dozen or so I looked through gave me no real answers except people saying one fin or the other fin were the favorites.

So any input on the turtle fins would be great, or other similar styled short fins that would be appropriate. Thanks everyone.

Depending on the suit I am wearing I use Turtles or Jets. Both work well and except that the Turtles are shorter and wider I detect no difference. Of course YMMV.

Green_Manelishi:
Depending on the suit I am wearing I use Turtles or Jets. Both work well and except that the Turtles are shorter and wider I detect no difference. Of course YMMV.

Yup. I've switched between both XXL Jets and Turtles and can't say there's a huge difference.

Cheekymonkey:

I wear Turtles with my size 10 DUI Rock Boots. They're an excellent alternative to Jet fins.

With a size 10 Rock Boot, there's a little bit of slop between the boot and fin pocket. This is easily addressed by using a shorter spring strap in order to achieve a snugger fit. I'm using size small (8") XS Scuba - Universal Spring Straps with mine ... works perfectly !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom