Drysuit feet/boot replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea, call and ask to talk to Mike if he's around
ok so before I take the plunge and order everything I need I have another question. sorry to be a pain. It appears these socks are 3mm neoprene (not crushed). Have you ever seen these or know anyone that have used them and did they describe the warmth in colder waters say around the 50F mark? The reason I ask is because with 1 pair of wool socks it seems the large neoprene bootie is what I want according to DRIS when I called and if double layers of wool socks are needed then I would want the XL neoprene sock. I was thinking of just buying the XL sock this way I could do either, but would the neoprene be floppy only wearing one pair of wool socks? Does that even matter considering I would have the rock boot on top of it to tighten everything down. OR Would likely 3mm neoprene bootie along with one pair of wool socks be all I need. sorry for all the questions that you likely cant answer. just looking for any of your thoughts.

I have them on mine, but I use the neoprene booties listed above so in 40-50f water I dive in dress socks to get my feet into the boots. It unfortunately all depends on your personal cold tolerance and the length of your dives.
If the socks are too big, which miraculously is the problem with mine, they will hold a lot of extra air and can cause you to go a$$ over tea kettle. It also depends on how tall the socks themselves are compared to the leg of the suit. Mine are fairly long and have to be redone, but since you're DIY you can make them smaller.

So I guess it all depends on your overboot choice and whether it has inherent insulation or not. Personally in 50f water for 1-2 hour exposure, I'd only wear one good pair of merino type wool socks and be done with it. I don't like layering socks, but that's just me

I have them on mine, but I use the neoprene booties listed above so in 40-50f water I dive in dress socks to get my feet into the boots. It unfortunately all depends on your personal cold tolerance and the length of your dives.
If the socks are too big, which miraculously is the problem with mine, they will hold a lot of extra air and can cause you to go a$$ over tea kettle. It also depends on how tall the socks themselves are compared to the leg of the suit. Mine are fairly long and have to be redone, but since you're DIY you can make them smaller.

So I guess it all depends on your overboot choice and whether it has inherent insulation or not. Personally in 50f water for 1-2 hour exposure, I'd only wear one good pair of merino type wool socks and be done with it. I don't like layering socks, but that's just me
I get what you are saying and I see your point. When I dove wet, I used 5mm aqualung boots in 45F water and my feet started getting cold near the end of the dive but those dives were pretty short with 10 minute bottom times due to depth. In the shallower portions of those dives, water temps were like 55-65F and my feet were fine as far as warmth. I was contemplating going with the rockboots so I can tighten the sock down to avoid having too much air in my feet (a current battle I face now that I do not like). I think one good pair of wool socks combined with the 3mm bootie will likely be enough for the current dives I do but as I progress into deco diving I wonder what it will be like then with longer dive times possibly in colder waters.

proper neoprene booties typically do a lot better than normal drysuit overboots at keeping air out of your feet as an fyi. Just have to make sure they are high tops. I think a good pair of proper cold weather wool socks will be fine with 3mm socks and a good 5mm pair of lined booties vs rockboots which have no inherent insulation.

Has anyone removed the feet of their drysuit. The reason I ask is right now my bare trilam currently has boots similar to turbosole which are a bit large on me. It is ok if I wear like 3 pairs of socks but that can be a little much during the mid hot summer. I would like to change out the feet to the basic drysuit sock type material and use rock boots. I called a few shops and they quoted me like 400 dollars which just seems crazy excessive and that does not include shipping the drysuit which would likely be another 50-100 both ways. I can see where the drysuit foot/boot seam is but have no idea how it is attached nor where I could even buy the new socks to install. Are these boots/feet sewn on or simply glued? If just glued...I feel pretty confident I could do the work myself. thanks for any info.

They are glued. Had the same problem. If you're a DIY type, about $50 for neoprene socks, glue, finishing tape, cleaning solution, etc. should suffice. Key is cleaning and applying adequate pressure while drying.

As others suggested, if shipping isn't a big deal, sending it to DRIS is a good option. They stand behind their work.

'I called a few shops and they quoted me like 400 dollars

I would take that as an insult.

Changing boots should cost some tenners + the cost of the new boots. A lot less than 200 USD I would say. Then again, I do not live in the U.S.

"Like 400 dollars" for new boots and labor is what I'm about to pay for this service. Just another data point for the OP.

Back
Top Bottom