Drysuit Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon

Reaction score
So is it against the proper procedure to dive dry with blue jeans, white socks, and a tee-shirt underneath, or does this make a diver seem "redneck"?? (don't forget the tighty whitey underwear) :eek:ut: From all of my local contacts, the general concensus is that as long as I don't grow a mullet it will be OK.:bonk:

the proper undergarment is red flannel .it is ok to wear jeans etc as long as the red flannel is under .
joens

Jeans, shirt and socks are all cotton.

Wet cotton does not insulate.

TwoBit

As long as you're warm, who cares what you're wearing? Although I might rather that you leave the lace teddy at home...

It's always fun p***ing off wetsuit divers by showing up for a dive and not having to change clothes - slide into the drysuit and head for the water while they're still wrassling with the neoprene anaconda. Gotta love it.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...
As long as you're warm, who cares what you're wearing? Although I might rather that you leave the lace teddy at home...

It's always fun p***ing off wetsuit divers by showing up for a dive and not having to change clothes - slide into the drysuit and head for the water while they're still wrassling with the neoprene anaconda. Gotta love it.

Steven

I could not have said it better.

joens once bubbled...
the proper undergarment is red flannel .it is ok to wear jeans etc as long as the red flannel is under .
joens

"Oh..... I forgot the flannel!! I can't dive!!" ;-0
"Don't worry buddy, I've got a spare in my save-a-dive kit..."

Polypro(fleece,etc...) or wool does not absorb much water ,10%(from leaks or sweat) and it will move the moisture away from your skin. If you have ever skied in cotton, you've experienced the moisture situation, I would think in a drysuit you'd start feeling clammy, especially if you are doing repetitive dives. Plus, once you're out of the water, cotton takes forever to dry. Nothing like a long drive home in damp, cold, clothes. Cotton clothing has no place in technical layering, be it for diving, skiing, climbing, etc... .In an emergency, it will let you down big time!! Sorry flannel and blue jeans guys, but that's the truth!!:bonk:

Whatever you are most comfortable in... I go naked in the summer and batman PJ's in the winter.

Now, who has a problem with my mullet?

But serious, I have worn just shorts and a tee shirt (less offensive than going naked, you'd understand if you seen me naked) under my neoprean dry suit and just purple polypro long underwear under my trilam dry suit while in the Canary Islands. I dive in a full thinsulate suit under my trilam in 45 deg. water and have stayed nice and warm even when I cut the thigh of my suit open towards the end of a long dive in Scapa flow. It was another 30 min before I could safely exit the water yet I remained warm.

The important thing is to wear something comfortable and something that will insure your comfort when wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom