Drysuit dump valve trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peel and stick mesh from home depot on upper arm of your undergarment. the nicer undergarments now have integrated mesh panels in that location specifically to aid venting.

The dump valve is located on my biceps too and indeed it seems practically impossible to dump air while in horizontal trim.
Rolling to the right 30ish degrees and extending your upper arm out (like a chicken wing or parallel to your shoulders) is crucial. The valve on your bicep is then about an inch from the highest point, which should be close enough. Also, bend the elbow so your hand is near your armpit (which is lower than the valve).

Thanks for all the replies. As expected it seems that more practice and experimenting is needed.

Dump through your cuff.
I noticed that this is possible and indeed quite easy, but is it considered a good practice?
In my case (winter temperatures no lower than 60F/15C), I will not need dry gloves. 3mm wet gloves is the most I ever needed. So, if cuff dumping has no other side effects could be an option. Of course, I still need to learn/master the "proper" way too.

Rolling to the right 30ish degrees and extending your upper arm out (like a chicken wing or parallel to your shoulders) is crucial. The valve on your bicep is then about an inch from the highest point, which should be close enough. Also, bend the elbow so your hand is near your armpit (which is lower than the valve).
The valve is so near my armpit that I think 30ish degrees won't do it. Something like totally sideways (90 degrees) seems to be required but it is so awkward posittion that I can't keep it long enough to get enough gas out. Bending elbow (as much as possible) while keeping it high is something that I practiced last time and it helps a bit.

LOL, no, 90 degrees isn't required. :)
  1. Lay on the bed, resting your head on the back of your hand and looking left.
  2. Roll slightly to the right (right arm by your side makes this easier), leaving your left elbow touching the bed. Your shoulder is now the highest point.
  3. Make your elbow the same height as your shoulder (i.e., horizontal) while keeping your hand on the bed, and your bicep will be a couple cm lower than highest. That's close enough. Strive for this position in the water.
The air from your shoulders and right arm is trying to cram into a smaller space (around your upper arm), raising the pressure and opening the vent. If it doesn't, then open the vent further. If the vent is fully open, you may not have enough air that venting is needed or it may need servicing. Having a buddy watch you may also be beneficial.

I noticed that this is possible and indeed quite easy, but is it considered a good practice?
In my case (winter temperatures no lower than 60F/15C), I will not need dry gloves. 3mm wet gloves is the most I ever needed. So, if cuff dumping has no other side effects could be an option. Of course, I still need to learn/master the "proper" way too.
You will probably get some water in but not a lot, especially for the temperatures that you are diving in, it is not a problem. But as you said, this is not the right way, dumping from seals is meant for emergencies like frozen/stuck inflator valve.
You will have to change your body position slightly vertical, at least your upper torso. This is no different than dumping it from your bcd, sometimes air is trapped where you do not want it to be. Try to keep healthy amount of air bubble inside the suite above waist level. Some people install cuff valves, I never used one, but its probably an option if you are not getting used to it.

My old Bare Nex-Gen Pro drysuit had the dump valve on the bicep almost in my armpit. At first I had to do a funky chicken to vent, then I learned to go vertical, finally I figured out if I did a motion when horizontal similar to reaching for the left post but with elbow wide instead of close to head it would vent. Still I hated that vent location and found a smoking deal on a demo suit. Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom