Drysuit Doesn't Fit Right :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive2617

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

After lots of searching and reading and trying on suits I finally pulled the trigger on a waterproof D10 suit. I'm an awkward shape (6'3" 170lbs) so getting one that would fit was a challenge and I failed at it. After 10-15 dives its clear that the suit is about 3 inches too sort and much to wide. I have to take way too much weight to be able to get down which is obviously partially because I'm a new drysuit diver and because its neoprene but I also think its because of shape and size. I'm very upset because it feels like I'm stuck with my mistake. Long story short, what do you guys recommend I do now? Do I have a shot at selling the thing and trying again with a new one? If so, where should I try my hand at selling it? Finally, what should I do differently when looking to get another one? Any thoughts on models that may fit me better?

Thanks!

Are you sure it is too much weight? Generally weight = warmth in a drysuit - since the air increases the loft in your undergarments. Generally the initial descent isn't an issue - get vertical and lift your exhaust arm and all the air goes right out. Most people I see (and myself until I mastered it) have more issues getting into the correct position to dump air during the dive, especially in a slow ascent.

However, It may be the neoprene makes good fit more important - as I see mostly shell type or compressed/crushed neoprene suits.

I know that the price may be a tough pill to swallow, but get a custom/made to measure suit. I finally got one on my 4th drysuit and the difference is unbelievable. I have a Bare X-Mission, but other places also do custom suits.

Sell it, take the loss, mark it in the lessons learned column and buy a better fitting drysuit, MTM if possible but if not try on before purchase. Nothing worse than a badly fitted drysuit, you're supposed to be enjoying diving not fighting your equipment.

For the drysuits, unless you're lucky to find a specific model that suit you better, the way to go is with a custom made (it's not just for the drysuits... but there you'll apprecciate the difference more than others), after you have tried the experience, you'll never come back.

For the weight, what do you mean with "too much"? I normally dive with 4-5 Kg in a 5mm wetsuit, and the first day I switched to a drysuits (trilaminate + a 190) i needed 10 Kg to have a chance to put my head under water.. now I need around 7 kg.

Back
Top Bottom