Drysuit Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the 350 at Dog Days at Vortex in FL, and liked the suit, but did not like the boots at all. They were clumsy and poor fitted with my xl Jets. I have since purchased the Dive Rite 905, and can't praise it enough. The suit is made by Polar Safety in Finland and is designed for light commercial applications. I figure the Finns ought to know about cold water diving. Back loader, but I get it on and off solo by attaching a 2 foot dog lead to the zipper. Boots are heavy duty neoprene, and form fitted like the booties you have. Paid 1100.00 from NE Scuba. By the way, the seams are welded not stitched which was another selling point. I think it is as close to a high end Viking as you can get for around 1000.00.

The DUI witht he vibram sole is the way to go. No problem with wearing jet fins with it.

Any thoughts between the FLX-TLS-CLX?

DUI is going to likely be my only option as that is the only brand my LDS sells and they said they would make it worth my while to make my purchases from them. So far I have found this to be true, so I would hate to change now.

personally I highlly recommend the TLS series. I've been diving one since '98. Mine has tons of dives on it, and I have never had problems with leaks, etc. In fact, I just ordered a second TLS 2 weeks ago. I have the Vibram soled boots, and highly recommend them. I also recommend going custom, or at least "cave cut" , it's worth the extra cash at the outset. (BTW I am a cave diver myslef, so dont worry about that environment). The CLX is a nice suit, and almost identical to the TLS series, except for the material. It isa lot stiffer and you loose a lot of flexibility. The upside to that is abrasion reisitance. Since I haven't found that to be a problem with my TLS, I dont think the trade off is worth it. The 50/50 is a TLS on the top and a CF200 bottom. Again, abrasion resistance is good, but you pay the price in higher weight and longer drying time. I thinkyou will find the TLS is the best way to go all around.

I believe the DUI nomenclature for the vibram soled, velcro strap, booties is "turbo sole". That might help you in ordering if you go that route. They do work with jets...my buddy is 6'3" or so and has 11-12 feet and wears XL jetfins with his TLS350 with turbo soles.

Cave Diver -

This is a common error. The 50/50 is not topped with TLS material - which, as we know is Nylon and about the weight of a good 4 season tent.

Its also not topped with 450 material - which, as we know is about the weight of a good 4 season backpack.

Its topped with a Polyester fabric - not nylon, not codura. It lies between the two in weight and toughness. The butyl rubber center layer is actually lined on both sides with this fabric. Its a somewhat lighter version of the material that laminated to both sides of the CF200 material (to my non-scientific eye, it looks like the fabrics are a bit narrower.) Unlike the TLS or the codura, this polyester does have some stretch. Not CF200 stretch, but some.

My wife has the TLS - very lightweight, very smooth, dries in about 15 minutes, etc. No stretch - it was kind of funky to me after diving in a 7mm with all that mobility. That's why I went with the 50/50. Man, is it heavier that the TLS. Obviously not CF200 heavy, but heavy. Its gonna take a good day for this to dry completely.

Plus - DUI is in the same state as I am - only a couple of hours away - this was the closer. If I have a problem, need a mod or repair, I don't want to send this thing to Canada, Finland, or to the East Coast. DUI is local to me.

The 50/50 now comes with their quick zip - go to their site for a complete descrption - the zipper is a bit longer and slid down to and around the waste a little. It took a bit to get used to, but after donning and doffing 4 or 5 times I got it together.

However - what I do not like with this new zipper design is the stiffener they placed in the bottom of the torso. I'm not sure if its there to help support the wrap-around zipper (likely) or if all 50/50's have this. Its sort of like a hoop-skirt effect...there's about a 1" stiffiner going around the circumferance of the torso that makes if a bit blousey. My hips and a$$ are wide enough! My wife's TLS doesn't have it, but she has the older zipper design.

I'm diving my 50/50 on Sunday. Can't wait!

K

Thanks for some great responses.

I am leaning towards the TLS with the vibram soles based on the info everyone has provided.

According to the size charts, I am a mix of three sizes M, L, and XL

In height (6') I fall between the L and XL
Chest (41") L
Waist (36") M
Hips (41") L
Girth (70) M and L
Spine-wrist (31) L and XL
Inseam (32) M
Shoe size (10 1/2-11) L and XL

I tried on a medium TLS with rockboots at my LDS and it seemed to fit pretty well. I was wearing just regular street clothes, and I could squat, stretch, bend etc. with no problem. It did seem a little tight under the arms tho, and the booties/socks were rather difficult to remove my feet from.

Based on this I was planning to go with a Large, but have read several posts that say to go a size under what the charts call for.

Since I call for a XL in some areas, and a medium was mostly okay, I thought the large would provide the best fit with undergarments.

Any thoughts?

Also, how hard is it to add a P-valve later?

Thanks again for the great responses.

My measurements are almost identical to yours. My inseam (floor to crotch) is 33"...Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try one on (the LDS only ORDERS suits and does not stock any...great policy).

I emailed DUI my measurements and asked for their opinon on size. They 'suggested' a Large (assuming a 400g undie).

You might send them your specs just to see if they are consistent in their recommendations.

kristy@dui-online. She can assist with your sizing issues. I was a medium in every way, except across my back and hips - and a large was too long in the leg and too big in the feet. She got me hooked up.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom