Drysuit Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of a drysuit. I am leaning towards either a DUI TLS or FLX. As near as I can tell, both are trilaminate, but the FLX seems to have some extra wear reinforcement that the TLS doesnt.

Can anyone inform me of the major differences between these two suits? Does anyone have a preference and if so why? Any opinions on whether the soft booties (for the rockboots) or the rubber booties are better? Is it really worth the extra expense to have DUI install the pockets, or should I just add them myself?

And finally... Assuming money was no object (even tho it is) What drysuit would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

I have dove the Flex 50/50 and the tls. The 50/50 is a merge between the Tls and the Cf 200. The bottom is crushed neoprene and the top is trilam. Most of the wreck divers I dove with in the PNW liked the 50/50 or the Cf 200.
I dive a Clx 450, Tls 350 and an Abyss neoprene suit. I like the neoprene suit better due to less resistance (didn't get custom DUI suits). Be warned that you will almost die in Florida heat with a neoprene suit.
What kind of diving are you doing? If you are doing shore dives where there are lots of rocks or other objects that hurt the feet, I would recommend rock boots. I have used rock boots religiously for a couple of years.
I picked up the Abyss as a used suit because I had a seal tear on the CLX with a long hang in 38 degree water. I didn't like the feeling, so I got the neoprene suit for stuff like that. I now use the neoprene suit any time I expect a lot of bumping, rubbing, and grinding (small spaces with less than smooth surfaces), or when I'm doing a long hang.

The shells are more comfy and lend to a wider array of climates, but I'm slowly becoming more fond of neoprene.
The Tls and the 50/50 are both good suits. I don't see many 50/50's in the caves of Florida.

Divesherpa once bubbled...
What kind of diving are you doing? If you are doing shore dives where there are lots of rocks or other objects that hurt the feet, I would recommend rock boots. I have used rock boots religiously for a couple of years.

Mostly recreational diving. My main incentive for getting a drysuit is to continue diving throught the winter here in Texas. I have several wetsuits, (3 mil shorty, 3 mil full, and a 7 mil full) and they have served me fairly well in water temps down to the low 60's. I don't however, look forward to getting out of the water wet when the air temperature is in the 40's to 50's.

I probably will not use the drysuit for diving in the Gulf (mostly rig diving/spearfishing) nor will I likely use it for Carribean diving (vacations). I would however likely use it when doing any sort of caving, or diving in cooler water.

Thanks for the detailed response.

How Flexible are you. I found the TLS to be easier to enter and had slightly more mobility at depth.
The cf200 is a little more restrictive. but will take scrapes alot better. To answer your question the Dui Flx 50/50 is the CF200 material from the waist down (which gives you a tighter fit & less air pockets in your lower areas, meaning you won't need gators or ankle weights). It also gives you a very tough knee and shin area. The upper area is the TLS trilaminate. It is easier to tuck down and a little more flexible making it easier to rotate and reach things.
One thing I noticed when I switched to the CF200 -- its seems to be warmer than my trilam.
As stated before the neopreme takes alot longer to dry than the trilaminate.
I currently dive the CF200 and my Trilaminate sits at home. My biggest complaint I,m always carrying a wet drysuit home. dang!

Hallmac.
I:bonk:

Hallmac once bubbled...
How Flexible are you. I found the TLS to be easier to enter and had slightly more mobility at depth.
The cf200 is a little more restrictive. but will take scrapes alot better. To answer your question the Dui Flx 50/50 is the CF200 material from the waist down (which gives you a tighter fit & less air pockets in your lower areas, meaning you won't need gators or ankle weights). It also gives you a very tough knee and shin area. The upper area is the TLS trilaminate. It is easier to tuck down and a little more flexible making it easier to rotate and reach things.
One thing I noticed when I switched to the CF200 -- its seems to be warmer than my trilam.
As stated before the neopreme takes alot longer to dry than the trilaminate.
I currently dive the CF200 and my Trilaminate sits at home. My biggest complaint I,m always carrying a wet drysuit home. dang!

Hallmac.
I:bonk:

It sounds like the FLX might be the best choice for me. I am pretty flexible, but I have pretty wide shoulders but narrow waist and hips. The tighter fit of the CF material might be of a benefit to me, as things like coveralls, etc. that fit my shoulders and arms well, tend to be rather baggy in the waist and legs.

How about the rubber booties vs. the rock boots? I was leaning towards the rock boots as I figured I already have 3 pairs of booties, and I could always wear one of those over the 'socks' if I chose not to wear the rock boots. Is either system more comfortable? And would the booties have any trouble fitting the footpocket of my Jetfins? (prolly using 10 1/2 - 11 bootie with XL Jets) I have run into a few booties that wont fit the foot pocket of my Jets.

Thanks for all the answers.

And would the booties have any trouble fitting the footpocket of my Jetfins? (prolly using 10 1/2 - 11 bootie with XL Jets) I have run into a few booties that wont fit the foot pocket of my Jets.
Most booties will fit the jets (like you said)..you will just need a size or so larger wetsuit bootie than you normally wear to fit the drysuit sock/footpiece in. Rockboots will not fit in jetfins at all and you will need turtles...

for rock boots I whare 14 they fit atomic xl fins and oms makes and new fin that will fit. I think dui are some of the dry suit out there.

O-ring once bubbled...

Most booties will fit the jets (like you said)..you will just need a size or so larger wetsuit bootie than you normally wear to fit the drysuit sock/footpiece in.

Are you suggesting to get the Rockboot design that uses the soft sock instead of booties, then just wear my normal booties over them? That is kinda what I was thinking also...

O-ring once bubbled...

Rockboots will not fit in jetfins at all and you will need turtles...

Aaaaaarghhhhhhh! I just got them jetfins not that long ago and now I'm gonna need turtles???

If you want to keep the fins you just bought get the vibram sole option.
Dui sells an option they call the vibram sole. It is a neoprene sock with a hard rubber sole. I love it. I can walk on any surface, including iron shore, without it hurting my feet and they still fit inside my fins. They are not shown in any of their catalogs but offered on all of their suits just look in the installed options list. It's also one less thing to keep track of after the dive.
I can send you a picture of them if you like.
Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom