Drysuit decisions, any more thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadds

Registered
Reaction score
I have read about every drysuit post I could find, but I wanted a few more opinions prior to purchase..
I have a neoprene Oneil that is too large, and a little leaky around the arms (the xl's are bulky around the torso) but I never got cold, even with the thinnest of undergarments
This suit would be for wreck/ledge diving/spearfishing in North Carolina (wilmington) can't even remember how cold it gets, best I remember in the 50's.
I would like to get a suit that is highly abrasion resitant, a more streamlined fit would be great also, and good mobility would be key (but I don't think I need the insulation that the ice divers will need)

1. Dive Rite 905 "butyl rubber -- laminated with layers of polyester"
off the shelf sizing a slight negative as the xl's may be cut wide also,
my impression is that I would need to wear a bulky undergarment to stop the chill from coming straight thru....more bulk

2. Oceanic biodry - "bioflex material with Cordura panels"
- the made to order sizing is appealing, and gets great reviews on this board,
I guess it has similar thickness as the 905??

3. DUI Cf200 "crushed neoprene"
(due to cost difference (I can get a break on the price for the other 2) I would look for a used/fac 2nd suit),
seems appealing, but is it very abrasion resistant? does it provide some inherent insulation like my Oneil??

I am leaning towards the biodry, it gets good reviews here, seems to address the fit issue for me, seems to be wear resistant
Any advice appreciated or other models that I have overlooked......thanks in advance

Are you thinking of mail order or buying from some local dealer? I suspect you're thinking mail order because finding one at an LDS would mean you could try one on first and check the fit.

If you're shopping on line, check out Divetank.com for their prices. I got this tip from others on this board. While they may not carry any of the three suits you've mentioned here, they do have a nifty size/fitting page where they can determine the best suit size for you based on the measurements you provide. The Bare suits they have come in several odd sizes and most can be custom fit. The Bare XCD2 suit may be close to the DUI Cf200 you mentioned above.

Just a thought...

Dunno about fit, but I can say that I was very impressed with the insulating quality of the DUI crushed neoprene suit I demo'd on Sunday. The suit in question was crushed neoprene from the waist down and trilam above, and from the waist down, I was warm as toast; above that, I was distinctly chilly.

The CF200 offers great abrasion resistance and some additional warmth over a trilam suit. I would say it's by far the best drysuit in the list you posted. I would (and did) buy one new and enjoy it for many years to come. My CF200 has ~ 300 dives on it and still looks brand new.

The DUI CLX450 is also a very nice suit and when it's time to consider a new suit I'll probably go with one due to its faster drying time.

I've also been shoping drysuits recently and found the White's Nexus II, Found a LDS with one I got to try on and comes in a package with boots, underwear, and a really nice backpack/bag. I've even found the package for $882 from ScubaCityUSA, hopefully when I'm ready to buy Larry from Scubatoys will still pricematch.

Perhaps I ruled out other suits to quickly, actually my LDS doesn't have any of these in. That's why I asked about these. I got the suit I have now from a LDS and never was pleased with the fit. (I don't think we have alot of drysuit folks around)
I wanted to upgade fit and quality, so I stayed away from the brands that I have not seen or heard much of?? If that makes sense.......it seems alot of folks are liking the non-trilam suits........still looking...thanks

I have DUI's Clx 50/50. It's the Cf 200 bottom with the Clx top. I think it offers a little more mobility. I dive wrecks a lot. It still looks like new. I'd buy the same suit again.

scubadds - if you felt ambitious and can't find what you want locally and don't want to go mail order, you could drive up to Andy's Drysuits in DelMarVa for a factory fitting.
http://www.andysdrysuit.com/

Tom Winters:
scubadds - if you felt ambitious and can't find what you want locally and don't want to go mail order, you could drive up to Andy's Drysuits in DelMarVa for a factory fitting.
http://www.andysdrysuit.com/

I agree with Tom on this one, check out Andy's Dry suits.
I have tried alot of dry suits on the market and I am sold on Andy's (everybody has a preferance in what gear).
I just recently got an Andy's DS2 in cordura with tech boots and tech pocket for a decent price. IMO do the research and find what suit will benefit you in your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom