Drysuit choice/sizing - for divers with shoulder issues, range of motion constraints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quattroluvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just had an interesting experience fitting my new drysuit re sizing and shoulder issues, range of motion limitations. I've got loose rotator cuffs in both shoulders from old high school football injuries. Doesn't really affect me when climbing, mt biking or in-water diving but drysuit donning and doffing was pretty problematic, given the contortions required. Especially self-donning. A big problem.

I think the Whites Fusion may offer a somewhat unique solution, with it's streamlining compressive skin... it allows a more roomy larger shell to be chosen, while giving a very streamlined and well-fitting donned suit. My experience from yesterday at my LDS.

According to the Whites' table, I was toward the bottom range of the 2xl/3xl size Fusion at 5' 11" and 210 lbs and 33" inseam. So the 2xl/3xl should have been roomy enough if you follow the sizing table. When I tried it on (using the White's donning tips), I really couldn't get my shoulders contorted enough to get both shoulders in without an assistant's help, too tight. The fit once on was just great, and very streamlined/snug, leg and arm freedom of movement was super. Doffing it was also a struggle and was grateful for assitance though I could have doffed it with a struggle.

So.. I tried the 4xl, and it was quite easy to don and doff even with my shoulder issues without buddy help. The extra torso length in the shell made all the difference. To my great surprise, the snug, streamlined (custom-ish feeling) fit once fully donned was equal to the smaller/'correct' size. Leg and arm and torso range of motion and feel was great. I really couldn't tell i was in a 'too large' suit. :D That's the beauty of the shell+compressive-skin Fusion concept I guess.

In a traditional shell suit, that much over-sizing would be pretty horrible for bubble migration, fit and streamlining.

(If I gain weight I'll have more room too ;-) though that might be a bad thing :(

Caveat: This was a report on donning/doffing.... I'll try to remember to post an update after the 4xl arrives in a few weeks, on the in-water experience of a 'too large' size.

Caveat: YMMV --- I'm a fairly off-the-shelf average shape for street clothes, am fairly fit, though I need to lose a few lbs off the belly.

Caveat: I went DOWN one size from the table size, for the Fusion undergarment. It went on easily enough and was snug but flexible and fit well.

L.

Last edited:
From OP: I'd like to modify the idea quantitatively. I think the approach for shoulder challenged people is still valid. HOWEVER, after studying Whites' donning video more and another tip I found on the Whites forum, i went back to LDS and successfully self-donned the right 'table lookup' sized Fusion suit 2X/3XL for me at 5' 11", 210, 33" inseam). As a newb to drysuits, I was being way to tender/cautious/paranoid about stressing the zipper while donning, hence I didn't use enough force, or use the 'shimmy/dance move'. I used more force and wiggle and got right in, and to my delight i could even close the zipper all the way, even with my loose rotator cuffs. Fit is awesome and streamlined, feels like a 3mm wetsuit.
So.... my main point about Fusion's compressive 2-layer, streamlining concept being good for shoulder-challenged divers is I think valid, just don't go as extreme in over-sizing as I was contemplating. If you're over the 50% mark in the table, OK think about up-sizing. If you're under 50% mark in the table like I was, stay with the table.

Just stick with back zip. Works much better for an old fart after multiple shoulder operations.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom