Drysuit. Can I buy a very cheap used suit slightly big a couple inches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP,
My first drysuit was too long in the legs and had space in the middle. I cannot tell you how frustrating it was when I first started diving it.(just thinking about it has me swearing) I ignored advice given to me that it was too big and kept the suit - bad mistake - the suit was new and sits in my garden shed - I cannot even give it away.

Listen to RJP and Stoo. You want it to fit correctly - if a fit is slightly big you might get away with it but my first suit was 2/3 inches too big and I was fighting the suit rather than enjoying the dive. It just isn't worth it.

It is possible to pick up a good second hand suit but you do have to be careful when buying.
The chances of you getting a good second hand suit diminish if you are buying privately over the web (not impossible but it's a big risk and you have to ask yourself if you are prepared to take that risk)

Don't forget the Craigslist/Local option where you could try the suit on!

Hi folks,

I'm looking at buying one of several used drysuits online that are sized medium but I'm actually a size "small-tall".
I weigh 145lbs and the medium suits from almost all manufacturers have medium sizes intended for people that are 150-175lbs, my height or 2 inches taller.
Also, the waist, hips and chest measurements are 2 inches bigger also. Inseam seems correct.
I suspect the arms, calves, thighs, biceps and forearms will be very loose.
These are all front entry, diagonal zip, trilaminates shells.

Will I be OK with suits in medium or should I just go with a custom?
I'm unsure since the a diver wears a lot of gear that covers up a lot of the upper body, anyway. So the waist, chest and hips may not matter since they are belted up tight.
Just the arms and legs being potential balloons I don't need. What if I wore dozens of rubber bands on my arms and legs? (OK, just kidding)

Thanks,
T
Checkout this size chart: DUI size chart

How would a women's MT fit? I have had a few guys wear this suit & it fit fine. ( BTW, it does not have cups so no one will know it's a women's suit:D! )

Thanks for the tips. Beaverdivers---Ha, ha. Very good point. I happen to be comfortable enough with my manhood (most of the time) enough to have considered that option you suggested (women's suit...for a guy like myself :blush: ). I trolled the DUI closeout and used suit section and came up with some women suits close but still too big in the hip area (most used were custom cut). That option would be more valid if given a wider selection. OK the latest update is that a number of places (Dive Right in Scuba) were closing out the Hollis FX100 suit for $999. I ended up ordering it and am anxious because I am right at the upper end of a small suit size limit. I did get medium neoprene socks put in and hope it fits with minimal issues. One question--- If the suit ends up being a little short in the leg area, could length be added to the legs by adding on a neoprene sock that has more length at the ankles? Perhaps I'm thinking too far ahead. Thanks, -T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom