Drysuit boots and seals question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of choosing a DUI drysuit, currently favoring the FLX Extreme, and need to decide on the Turbo (integrated) boots or Rock boots (go over the drysuit bootie). Also silicone vs latex seals. Opinions and advice?

I can't make a recommendation on the boots other than I use I use the boots and like them.

For the wrist seals I would get the SI-5 ring system, basically the Viking Classic Cuff Ring System, put latex or silicone seals in the ring system and use pull over gloves that pull over the ring system if you want dry gloves. Used that way the SI-5 system had wrist seals with the ability to keep your wrist seal and use dry gloves.

I would get a quick change system for the neck and wrists, they cost more up front but there is no labor costs or time lost if a seal goes, you can change a seal in less tha 5 minutes.

I have rock boots I like them. I'm using latex zips atm no problems with them when they go ill probably go with silicone.

I've got the turbo sole boots and I like them. I didn't have to get new fins to fit my drysuit. I probably would have had to get new fins to fit the rock boots.

I got the zipseals and regret the choice. The zipseals are great but if you want dry gloves then the gloves are on when you put on the drysuit instead of after everything else is done. If I had to do it over again I would get the Si-Tech locking system.

I have flex soles, I like having the option of just buying new boots and not having to send the suit back in if they wear out. Even with the flex soles I needed to go up a fin size.

I was going to get the sitech replacement neck Tite seal system fitted but was advised against it by the manufacturer due to my small frame and the apparent loss/reduction in flexibility with the neck ring.

I chose not to have the wrist system fitted as I didn't want to be locked into using sitech gloves with their large rings, I have small skinny arms. I will try the Kubi/UTD drygloves if the water temps require the use of dry gloves. Good luck.

I have boots on my suit and the GF has "sock". I have not tried the sock, but I do like my boots and given and option I can't see myself going to socks. All of my diving is shore diving.

Last edited:
Hi Hatul:

For the wrist seals, I will recommend Silicone Seals. They are far more comfortable than the latex seals. The latex seal will serve you better for the neck seal, if you're short stature and do not have broad shoulders. I'm 5'5 and the neck ring on my Fusion Tech pushed the straps of my harness to the side. If you dive a traditional BCD, it may not affect you.

Your diving platform should dictate your footwear. If you dive from a boat, then the soft soles of integrated booties may work for you. I dive from shore and have to traverse rocks/hard/sharp surfaces, then over boots such as the DUI Rock Boots or the Whites Evo 3 boots will work best.

Get the softest most flexible boots. You cannot rotate your ankles in rock boots so you will not be able to back & helicopter kick in them.

I have a suit with Turbo Soles, and another suit that has socks, so I use Chuck Taylors. I much prefer the less work of the Turbo Soles in gearing up and down, plus they offer excellent flexibility. It is a very subjective topic, and there are plenty of other threads on the exact same subject.

Wrist seals I will be using latex, and silicon for my neck. I keep blowing out the wrist seals, but much prefer the comfort of the silicon neck seal. If you go with ZIP seals you can use the Viking dry glove system which is awesome!

I've had attached boots and now I'm in rock boots. With the lace up rock boots you can adjust the fit based on the socks you want that day and have more control over the fit. With an attached boot you need to adjust the socks to maintain the boot fit. Donning rock boots takes some extra time and gives you a few more items to clean. They can load up with sand on shore dive entries and exits. No free lunch.

The need to up size fins varies both ways. Early rock boots wee very chunky and bumped fins up a size. Newer ones are more sneaker like.The heftiness of attached boots also goes both ways.

Zip seals are nice if you fit through the rings and if wrist rings will not be in the way of your activities. Some lobster hunters find them too big for instance.

I'll at least consider silicone when my latex expires. They were 'new" but we're past that.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom