Drysuit boot alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I dropped some coin on a new Whites Fusion. But, not to sure what to use as boots. I've looked at DUI, Whites & Bare drysuit boots and they are all very rugged, but huge. Not really interested in buying new fins for the huge boots at this time, so wanted to know what kinds of solutions other have for drysuit boots. I've read other threads saying Converse All-stars.

I come from a whitewater kayaking background and have used all sorts of water shoes (Sadly, I had to sell most of my stuff to fund newer pastimes like SCUBA). Anyone ever use boots like these from NRS or anything similar? Our local REI equivalent called MEC also has surf shoes with laces. My thinking is a bootie with laces and a decent sole would be ideal (low volume, some warmth and secure attachment). Let me know if anyone has tried any of these before or tell me if I'm just blowing smoke.

Thanks,

Kevin

Attachments

• 2335_071205_250x250.jpg
    2335_071205_250x250.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 5010510s_v1_m56577569830583784.jpg
    5010510s_v1_m56577569830583784.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 136
Howdy,

The closest thing I've seen to what you're describing is on a dry suit my dive buddy has. The suit has relatively normal dry suit boots, but there's an "over-shoe" that laces up over it and provides a solid sole, lace-up for tightening, and probably more versatility than usual. In fact, these things look like hiking boots (but they still fit inside his fins).

His ScubaBoard ID is Mpscubatoytech...if this interests you I might suggest you to look him up, or PM me with your e-mail and I'll connect you through e-mail. He can tell you a lot more about the system since he's been diving it for years.

Regards,

-S

I haven't used those, but I have used regular wetsuit booties, as well as Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars. I find the booties allow a bit more air into them than I would prefer. The Chuck Taylors can sometimes cause a squeeze if there is a seam in the top of the shoe, and can be a bit of a pain to get off of my Jetfins.

What I have tried with my Fusion: White's Evo boots (too big for my fins, and too wide for my feet, but nice boots). Chuck Taylors -- fit in the fins, but kind of a pain to get on and off, and easy to get too tight and make my feet cold. Wetsuit booties -- pull on, way too hard to use; zip up, rolled on my feet and made me worry about spraining or breaking an ankle on uneven rocks. Gill Marine surfer shoes -- nice option, with a built-in Velcro finkeeper type thing, but the soles were really thin and it hurt to walk on uneven ground.

Now I'm using Gill Marine boat shoes (similar to, but not exactly like THESE), and so far, I love them. They have a somewhat thicker sole than the surf shoes, but still fit in my Jets. They're easy to get on and off, with the elastic laces. I do use finkeepers over them for security. They don't overcompress my feet and defeat the insulation.

Good question, as I am curious about this as well.

In this case size does matter. I had the chance to try a Whites Fusion this weekend. It was a L\XL, and I have a size 11 foot. I tried Chucks size 11 and could not get them on with my heavy socks, they would barely fit with pair of thin socks, but would not fit in my XL jet fins. I could not get a size 11 wetsuit boot on at all. I ended up using a borrowed pair of DUI size 11 rock boots, they fit real well, but would not go in the XL jets. So I had to go with the old standby Turtle fins.

I think alot depends on your foot size. I would love to be able to use my XL Jets as well.

Good question, as I am curious about this as well.

In this case size does matter. I had the chance to try a Whites Fusion this weekend. It was a L\XL, and I have a size 11 foot. I tried Chucks size 11 and could not get them on with my heavy socks, they would barely fit with pair of thin socks, but would not fit in my XL jet fins. I could not get a size 11 wetsuit boot on at all. I ended up using a borrowed pair of DUI size 11 rock boots, they fit real well, but would not go in the XL jets. So I had to go with the old standby Turtle fins.

I think alot depends on your foot size. I would love to be able to use my XL Jets as well.

I think I've read on here that the "appropriate" size for the Chuck Taylors to use in this instance is 2 sizes larger than you would normally wear. I could only find 1 size larger than normal, and they work, but I think 2 would be better.

I recently received my new drysuit with neoprene socks. I had an extra pair of (nice henderson) booties that I bought a few years back, but that were about a half size too big. They fit perfectly over the drysuit sock, are tough enough to withstand the jagged rocks at my regular dive sites, and didn't necessitate the purchase of larger fins.

I'm using Chucks two sizes larger than my regular size. No complaints so far. These with a Fusion and one to two pairs of hiking socks. I did have to go from L to XL Jets for my drysuit diving however.

Last edited:
I think I've read on here that the "appropriate" size for the Chuck Taylors to use in this instance is 2 sizes larger than you would normally wear. I could only find 1 size larger than normal, and they work, but I think 2 would be better.

Thanks for the info, I quess the same sizing would work with wet suit booties, allthough it doesn't sound like they work that well. The Dui boots must be sized to accomadate suit sock and undergarment socks.

Does anyone know if all rock boots are sized large?

I just bought a BARE next gen drysuit with 4mm neoprene softboots,I also purchashed the trek bootsi normally wear a size 10 shoe so i got size 11 boots and they work good. I think if i got the size 10 boot it might have been to tight or uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom