drysuit beginner - wrist seal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just bought my first (second hand) drysuit. I bought it for a good price, under the assumption that all seals will need to be replaced. I did some research and concluded that I should be able to replace those seals myself without paying an arm and a leg. The suit was in storage for several years and parts of the latex seals melted away. The previous owner cut the unsightly gummy rubber off prior to selling it.

When I try it on, it appears that there is enough material left to give me adequate seal in the neck - but I am wondering if it would not be better to just go ahead and replace it anyways. I haven't had any dives yet in a drysuit and I would hate for it to flood on its maiden voyage... or would a leak manifest itself as a trickle rather than a flood?

The bigger dilemma is the wrist seal. One looks to be in perfect shape, while the other has a big piece of it missing (see photo). That said, the suit comes with a pair of dry gloves. So in reality the wrist seal shouldn't even get wet. Removing the glove connector ring and replacing it seems like a bigger hassle.
P8171978.jpg
What would you do?

Replacing the seals isn't as tough as it seems, go to Diverightinscuba and they have all the parts (cheap) and videos. Also, ask them any questions as they are super helpful, and if your still doubtful, they can repair them for you.

Thanks decompression.

Some good info there.
I live in Switzerland, so shipping my suit to the U.S. and back is not so cost effective. I plan on doing the repair work myself. I can source the seals for an affordable price in Europe. The neck replacement seems pretty straightforward. Its just the wrist with the ring there seems more challenging.

---------- Post Merged at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Another point to consider. Shouldn't the suit allow air to go into and out of the glove anyways? if that's so then the wrist should not be sealed separately from the glove to begin with, right? Am I missing something here?

Best of luck with your DIY fixes. Some research on scubaboard and decostop should provide more than enough info to help you replace the seals yourself. You are correct that if the seal is inplace you will not have air flow into the drygloves, thereby causing squeeze. Some guys I know don't mind it, but you can easily allow flow by traping the thumb loop from your under between the seal and your wrist. Then if the glove does blow you would only have a slow leak up your arm.

Usually you wear knitted woollen gloves that you put on before you put your hand through the wristseal. When you lock the glove on you'll have toasty warm hands, and the knitted gloves will make sure air passes. If you get cold hands, just raise them to get more air into the gloves.

So is the consensus opinion that it is necessary to have working seals on a drysuit's wrists even if the attached dry gloves provide sufficient seal?
what is the likelihood of a ruptured glove? is it more likely than a ruptured seal for a drysuit without dry gloves?

You will not going to die but the suit will br easier yo flood. I would replace that seal regardless. The hole is big enough that the air will be travelling into the glove fast making it uncomfortable to do anything with tour hand. And you woul have to flush it constantly. Its hard to see it on the pic but does that ring has anothe ring inside ? Some systems like sitech have an inner ring locking the seal and it takes 5 mins to replace it. Mind it we were doing it dressed in drysuits before going into the water.

I'm not sure if there is an inner ring or not. Here's another picture, perhaps you can help me figure it out. There seem to be two pieces inside separated by some kind of o ring, but I don't know how I would go about separating them without damaging the o ring.

drysuit_wrist.jpg

It does look like the seal is trapped by the inner ring. Can you see it from the inside if the seal is folding under that inner ring ?

On Sitech you just put a blunt knife or a coin in between the two and slightly push it out walking around the ring eventually it pops out.

You them fold the seal , spray food silicone on the outer surface of the seal and inside of the outer ring and push it in evenly

The seal indeed folds under the ring and is trapped under it.

edit:
After playing around with it some more and getting the sleeve inside out, I finally figured it out. The plastic ring is just a single solid ring. It has a groove where you slide the latex seal over and place a thick o-ring (inside the sleeve) to keep it in place. Then there is the thick rubber band glued on top from the outside. I just hope I didn't damage the o-ring which keeps the glove sealed when I tried to pry it out.

I did discover the brand of the dry gloves rings - Aquatool. So I guess I could replace some parts if needed.

Cheers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom