Drysuit and Body Weight Loss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a drysuit taking into consideration their body weight? I want to lose 20-30 pounds over the next year and not sure if I should wait until after I lose the weight or before to purchase.

Has anyone purchased a drysuit taking into consideration their body weight? I want to lose 20-30 pounds over the next year and not sure if I should wait until after I lose the weight or before to purchase.

Yeppers! :D

My story: got OW certified dry with my own custom drysuit in October 2016. I then lost about 20 lbs of 35 total). Drysuit was too big. I went to diving wet by June 2017. Dove wet for the next year. I ended up ordering a Fusion Fit (women's model) in August of this year, receiving it in September, as it will "shrink" with you. I'm so glad to be diving dry again. The Fusion is really the only model that will accommodate weight loss (or gain, for that matter!). Thought I was going to wait another year to get a drysuit, but when I had a change of heart about the Fusion as a whole, I pulled the trigger. I've got more weight loss to come! :wink:

I got a drysuit right after losing 46 lbs about 15 years ago. Over the years I gradually gained most of the weight back, but was able to keep using the drysuit because it was cut to go over a Thinsulate undersuit and I switched to fleece. (Nothing wrong with the Thinsulate, really, I just decided I didn't like it. Not really a recommended course of action...) Finally got a new drysuit a few years ago.

And of course, there's always a difference between "wanting" to lose weight and actually doing so! :wink: (YMMV.) I would also consider how much use you would get out of the suit over the next year. How often do you dive? What sort of drysuit are you considering? (Costs can vary quite a bit.)

I think body weight change is always an issue. you can look at a shell suit as a cheaper (over time) alternative.

I got a good deal on an ISS D7 Codura for $800 USD. I did all my measurements and it works out to be size ML. The suit has never been used and still in the package. Silicone seals too.

I think I might be kidding myself. I'd love to dive more often but I don't so maybe the cost isn't justified. I just spent $400 on a sidemount rig that I may or may not get to use because there's not a big diving community here.

Twenty lbs shouldn’t make a big difference really. Neck seal may need to be adjusted.

Fusion drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom