Drysuit and bodily function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I am a newbie (not certified yet but soon!), so excuse me if this seems like a really stupid question. With wetsuit, there are two type of divers; those who pee in their wetsuit and those who lie about it. I see no big deal since the inside of a wetsuit is already "wet." My question, is - with a dry suit do you have the urge to do pee while underwater? I am curious if the dry inner suit makes it so that you don't have the urge. What causes the urge to pee? Is it the wetness of the wetsuit or is it the pressure? Anyway - I am just curious.

After all the reading on this board, I am wondering if I should just save up some money for a dry suit instead of purchasing a wetsuit for diving in N. California.

Thanks
Minh

i feel like peeing in my drysuit, but not as much as my wetsuit, so i am guessing
(just a guess) that being wet makes you want to pee more

if you pee before suiting up and keep your dives relatively short (say under
two hours) you should be able to hold it. if not, you basically have two choices if you're a guy: a pee valve or Depends; you basically have one choice if you're a gal: Depends

For me, the sight of water :D That and the fact that I can do it out in the open. It's a guy thing :wink:

reefugee:
What causes the urge to pee?

The need to pee while diving is caused by immersion diuresis. One of the factors contributing to immersion diuresis is a reduction in body temperature. Reduction in body temperature causes blood vessels in the extremeties and near the skin to constrict, which causes greater blood volume in the body's core, which causes the kidneys to try to get rid of some of the volume. Assuming that you are warmer in a drysuit than a wetsuit (which you should be), immersion diuresis should be reduced in a drysuit.

See the following:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=165

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=2861

Funny how they say that there are those who pee in their wetsuits and those why lie about it.
Right before totally gearing up for a dive I always hit the portapotty that's next to the quarry where I do a lot of my diving. If I'm diving off a boat I'll go right before the boat leaves the dock and if I have to go before the dive (typical for NC where the trip might be 2 hours out--not typical in the Keys) I'll go in the head on the boat right before the dive.
I've never done any dives over an hour in length, just to ward off those questions...but I can truthfully say that I've never peed in a wetsuit.

I guess in the 3mm full it wouldn't be so bad--but in a tight 6.5mm two-piece where there's almost zero flow and I can't feel the water on my body core...peeing in that would be terrible! It would just sit there the whole dive and never get out! :11:

As someone who always wants to let go to as soon as I hit the water in a wet suit, I'm glad to report that it's never crossed my mind in my new dry suit.

rongoodman:
As someone who always wants to let go to as soon as I hit the water in a wet suit, I'm glad to report that it's never crossed my mind in my new dry suit.

In a wetsuit I always felt that I had to go as soon as I _emerged_ from the water. I think it was the wetsuit clinging to me, causing me to _really_ have to go. Only a few times did I feel I _had_ to go while underwater. And, so you know, I didn't -- I tried, hard, but the body just wouldn't let me pee my pants.

With the drysuit, there is no such squeeze, and no such needs -- at least for me. I just go before I go out, and again when I get back, and there has never been any strenuous moments.

- ChillyWaters

SparticleBrane:
I guess in the 3mm full it wouldn't be so bad--but in a tight 6.5mm two-piece where there's almost zero flow and I can't feel the water on my body core...peeing in that would be terrible! It would just sit there the whole dive and never get out! :11:
This is why I will never buy a semi-dry suit.

That said, it's really no big deal in a 1 piece 7mm suit. Pull the neck a little open for a moment if you want to flush things down a bit. Haven't worn a two piece farmer john since the 80s, but I don't recall it was that different.

So this is how dry suits eventually become wet suits by developing leaks.

On a recent dive, I learned about a trick, but I haven't tried it yet.

Get inverted, pee, and then tuck your reg or octo in your neck and hit the purge valve to flush yourself off.

I confess in one dive in Coz, I couldn't hold it and I went and man did it stink up the place. I was so embarrased that I sat by myself in the back of the boat and rinsed my wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom